Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Fall in Season Opener
After sweeping the doubles matches, the Lady Flames saw their fortunes change, dropping five of the six singles matches to Appalachian State on Saturday evening in White Sulphur Springs, W. Va., to fall in their season opener, 5-2.
While two doubles matches were tightly contested, the Lady Flames (0-1) were able to earn victories across the board to open the match against Appalachian State (1-0).
Senior-freshman combinations led the way for Liberty in the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions. In the No. 1 spot, Jordan Jenkins and Cameron Richard defeated Ellie Linsell and Jessica Thaggard, 9-8 (3), while
Hannah Fick and Rebekah Jenkins knocked off Gisela Fernandez and Blakely Bean, 9-7, at No. 2 doubles.
Carol Lobel and Valeriya Klintsevich rounded out the sweep in doubles, defeating Jennifer Ansari and Kim-Lea Dinh, 8-2.
In singles, the Appalachian State team rebounded to capture five of the six matches.
Rebekah Jenkins picked up the sole singles victory for the Lady Flames, defeating Dinh in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 4 singles.
Fellow freshman Alexandra Sheeran, who is the latest addition to the Lady Flames squad, had a well-fought match against Thaggard at the No. 3 spot, narrowly losing in three sets, 6-0, 3-6, 6-4.
Appalachian State 5, Liberty 2
1. J. Jenkins/Richard (LU) def. Linsell/Thaggard (ASU) 9-8(3)
2. Fick/R. Jenkins (LU) def. Bean/Fernandez (ASU) 9-7
3. Lobel/Klintsevich (LU) def. Anseri/Dinh (ASU) 8-2
1. Linsell (ASU) def. Richard (LU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Ansari (ASU) def. Fick (LU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Thaggard (ASU) def. Sheeran (LU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
4. R. Jenkins (LU) def. Dinh (ASU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Bean (ASU) def. Lobel (LU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Fernandez (ASU) def. Domenech (LU) 7-5, 6-4