Flames Home > Men's Soccer Home > News

Liberty Powers Past St. Francis (N.Y.), 3-1

September 12, 2010
|  Lexington, Va.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Box Score

Uriah Bentick had a goal and an assist in Sunday's 3-1 victory.

Two first-half goals propelled the Liberty Flames to a 3-1 victory over the St. Francis (N.Y.) Terriers, Sunday afternoon in the third game of the Sculley Memorial Tournament at Patchin Field.

Liberty moves to 3-0-1 on the year. St. Francis drops to 0-3-1. The Flames went 1-0-1 in the tournament after tying Marshall Friday. 

Through the first 10 minutes of the match, play was confined to the midfield. However, in the 11th minute both teams were able to get off their first shots of the contest. The Terriers launched the first shot of the exchange. Midfielder John Johansson took a feed at the upper left corner and fired a shot, which Liberty goalkeeper Paul Gilbert corralled for his first save of afternoon.

Moments later, the Flames got their first opportunity in transition. Midfielder Phillip Aseweh lifted a shot wide from 25 yards out on the right side.

In the 16th minute, Liberty forward Timothy Bullock sidestepped a defender and moved into the upper left corner of the penalty area and ripped a shot which skimmed the crossbar high.

After a St. Francis foul, the Flames jumped on the scoreboard. Off the ensuing free kick, defender Uriah Bentick blasted a shot from 22 yards out, finding the far left corner of the net for a 1-0 lead at 20:10. The marker was Bentick's second goal of the year.

Over the next 20 minutes, shots were at a premium as both teams' defense clamped down on opposing attackers. 

In the 39th minute, Liberty extended its advantage to 2-0. Bentick found midfielder Thad Taylor in the middle of the 18-yard box off a free kick from 30 yards out. Taylor turned and ripped a shot into the left side of the net for his third goal of the year.

The Flames outshot the Terriers in the half, 6-2. St. Francis held the edge in corner kicks, 2-0.

In the opening minute of the second half, a Liberty foul resulted in a free kick from about 25 yards out on the left side. The kick by St. Francis forward Jeverto De Lorenzi was punched clear by Gilbert, relieving pressure and keeping the Terriers from organizing an attack.

The Flames worked back-to-back shot attempts for forward Darren Amoo in the 51st minute. On the first shot attempt, Terrier keeper Curtis Julien made a diving save to keep the forward from adding to the Liberty advantage. Moments later, midfielder Alex Verville stepped in front of a clearing pass and beat a St. Francis defender, feeding a pass to Amoo in the box. After settling, the forward shuffled his second shot high.

Liberty continued to carry possession during the middle part of the half. The Flames' attack kept the Terriers from mounting any offensive pressure of their own.

In the 77th minute, Liberty added to its lead. Forward Travis Joseph slipped a pass through the penalty area for midfielder Phillip Aseweh in front of the goal. The midfielder beat St. Francis netminder Curtis Julien to the left side for his second goal of the season and a 3-0 lead.

The Terriers netted their lone goal of the contest in the 85th minute. Off a deflection of a shot by Johansson, De Lorenzi scored the rebound for his first goal of the year and the final count of 3-1.

Shots were even in the contest, 15-15. St. Francis held a 4-2 advantage in corner kicks.

Gilbert recorded four saves in the Liberty goal, while Julien made five saves for the Terriers. Gilbert, Amoo and Bentick were named to the Sculley All-Tournament team.

Liberty continues on the road Wednesday. The Flames will travel to Boone, N.C., for a match with the Appalachian State Mountaineers. Match time is scheduled for 6 p.m.

2010 Sculley Memorial All-Tournament Team
Darren Amoo, Liberty
Uriah Bentick, Liberty
Paul Gilbert, Liberty

Tom Jackson, Marshall
Travis Brandt, Marshall
Natty Thomas, Marshall
Adam Maabdi, St. Francis
Greg Baum, St. Francis
Stewart Wilkinson, VMI
Kurt Zimmerman, VMI