Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Fall to Virginia Tech
The Hokies picked up the doubles point with victories in both of the contested matches, and followed up with four wins in singles to take the match.
Liberty's Nadia Solomon-Burgess defeated Martha Blakely, 5-7, 6-1, 10-8, in the No. 2 singles match. The win was the senior's 14th of the season. Hannah Fick netted the other Lady Flame singles win in the No. 5 match-up, scoring a straight-set, 6-2, 6-2 win over Megan Conley.
The Lady Flames, 5-15, will face Winthrop, Thursday in the first round of the Big South Women's Tennis Championship in Radford, Va. Match time is Noon.
Virginia Tech 5, Liberty 2
1. Yasmin Hamza (VT) def. Jordan Jenkins (LU) 6-4, 6-2
2 Nadia Solomon-Burgess (LU) Martha Blakely (VT) 5-7, 6-1, 10-8
3. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Carol Lobel (LU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Katie Blow (VT) def. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Hannah Fick (LU) def. Megan Conley (VT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Holly Johnson (VT) won by default
1. Hamza/Lauten (VT) def. Fick/Jenkins (LU) 8-3
2. Blow/Rauscher (VT) def. Lobel/Solomon-Burgess (LU)8-5
3. Blakely/Conley (VT) won by default