Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Finishes Regular Season with Win
With the win, the Flames move to 4-2 in Big South dual play and 12-9 overall. Liberty's 4-2 conference mark ties the 2003 Flames team for the best regular-season conference mark in program history. Gardner-Webb falls to 2-4 in conference action and 10-13 overall. Liberty's victory halted a three-match winning streak for the Bulldogs.
Gardner-Webb won the doubles point to force the Flames to come-from-behind in the contest. Gardner-Webb's Evgeny Slesarev and Rafael Altmayer posted a win in No. 1 doubles, 8-5, over Liberty's Siim Tuus and Tristian Stayt. Andrew Veeder and Jeremie Tardiff defeated Juan Reyes and Louis Steyn, 8-3, in the No. 2 match-up to capture the doubles point. It was the first doubles loss for Liberty's Reyes and Steyn, who had won 11 consecutive matches entering the contest.
Liberty's Giancarlo Lemmi and Chad Simpson claimed the lone Flames' doubles victory, by downing Matthew Herrock and Roman Piftor, 8-1. The win was the Liberty's duo 13th of the year.
In singles, the Flames won four of the six matches to take a 4-3 match victory. Stayt, Lemmi, Simpson and Steyn each posted straight-set wins for Liberty.
Stayt claimed the No. 2 singles contest, 6-2, 6-2, over Veeder, while Lemmi scored a 6-4, 6-4, over Altmayer. Simpson playing in his last Liberty home match, defeated Roman Piftor, 6-1, 6-1, while fellow co-captain and senior, Louis Steyn, was also a winner in his last home match, 6-1 ,6-2, over Tardiff.
With the regular season now completed, Liberty and Gardner-Webb will wait for the seedings for this week's Big South Men's Tennis Championships to be announced later tonight. The tournament gets underway, Thursday.
Liberty 4, Gardner-Webb 3
1. Slesarev/Altmayer (GWU) def. Tuus/Stayt (LU) 8-5
2. Veeder/Tardiff (GWU) def. Reyes/Steyn (LU) 8-3
3. Lemmi/Simpson (LU) def. Herrock/Piftor (GWU) 8-1
1. Evgeny Slesarev (GWU) def. Siim Tuus (LU) 6-2 6-2
2. Tristan Stayt (LU) def. Andrew Veeder (GWU) 6-4 6-1
3. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) def. Rafael Altmayer (GWU) 6-4 6-4
4. Chad Simpson (LU) def. Roman Piftor (GWU) 6-1 6-1
5. Louis Steyn (LU) def. Jeremie Tardiff (GWU) 6-1 6-2
6. Adam Knutssory (GWU) def. Juan Reyes (LU) 0-6 6-2 6-2