Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Falls to Winthrop
The Eagles started the match by capturing the doubles point, taking both contested matches. Winthrop's Elizaveta Zaytseva and Yasmine Alkema defeated Jordan Jenkins and Hannah Fick, 8-6, in the No. 1 match. Eagles Sandra Herrera and Giovanna Portiolli won in the No. 2 spot over Nadia Solomon-Burgess and Carol Lobel, 8-5.
In singles play, Jenkins won in the No. 1 contest, but Winthrop took the rest of the contests. Jenkins, who has won 12-consecutive matches, defeated Alkema, 7-6 (2), 2-6, 10-6. The junior has been victorious 17 times this spring, eclipsing her previous season dual win total of 16 which she set in 2008.
The Lady Flames finish their conference schedule with a 1-6 record and are 5-14 overall. Winthrop finishes its regular season 6-1 in the Big South and 13-8 overall.
Liberty ends its regular season tomorrow, when it travels to Virginia Tech for a match. Match time is scheduled for 5 p.m.
Winthrop 6, Liberty 1
1. Zaytseva/Alkema (WU) def. Jenkins/Fick (LU) 8-6
2. Herrera/Portiolli (WU) def. Solomon-Burgess/Lobel (LU) 8-5
3. Default to WU
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) def. Yasmine Alkema (WU) 7-6 (2) 2-6 10-6
2. Elizaveta Zaytseva (WU) def. Nadia Solomon-Burgess (LU) 6-0 6-2
3. Sandra Herrera (WU) def. Carol Lobel (LU) 6-0 6-0
4. Giovanna Portiolli (WU) def. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) 6-0 6-0
5. Lisa Wilkinson (WU) def. Hannah Fick (LU) 6-2 6-3
6. Default to WU