Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Falls to Winthrop
Liberty drops to 3-2 in Big South action and 11-9 overall. Winthrop moves to 5-1 in conference and 10-11 overall. The match was the final contest of the regular season for the Eagles.
The Eagles started the match by capturing the doubles point, taking the No. 1 and No. 2 seeded matches. Juan Reyes and Louis Steyn picked up Liberty's doubles win in the No. 3 match, 8-3. With the victory, the pairing remained unbeaten on the year, running its record to 11-0.
However, in the No. 1 doubles match, Winthrop's Daniel Daudt and Sergey Belov beat Siim Tuus and Tristan Stayt, 8-1, while Nadav Ruppin and Guy Kubi defeated Giancarlo Lemmi and Chad Simpson 8-3 in the No. 2 doubles match to take the point. Ruppin and Kubi ended the regular season unbeaten in conference play with a 6-0 Big South record.
In singles play, Winthrop kept its success going, winning all six singles matches. In the No. 1 singles, Belov defeated Tuus, 6-3, 6-4, while Ruppin beat Stayt, 6-2, 7-6 (6) in the No. 2 singles match. In the No. 3 singles match, Liran Levy defeated Lemmi, 6-1, 6-3, while Eagle Dejon Bivens won, 6-3, 6-1, over Simpson in the No. 4 singles match. In the No. 5 singles match, Kubi defeated Steyn, 6-3, 6-1, while Daudt came back to beat Reyes, 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 in the no. 6 singles match.
Liberty ends its regular season tomorrow, when its hosts Gardner-Webb in a Big South Conference match. Match time is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the LU Tennis Courts.
Winthrop 7, Liberty 0
1. Belov/Dault (WU) def. Tuus/Stayt (LU) 8-1
2. Ruppin/Kupi (WU) def. Lemmi/Simpson (LU) 8-3
3. Reyes/Steyn (LU) def. Levy/Morar (WU) 8-3
1. Sergey Belov (WU) def. Siim Tuus (LU) 6-3 6-4
2. Nadav Ruppin (WU) def. Tristan Stayt (LU) 6-2 7-6(6)
3. Liran Levy (WU) def. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) 6-1 6-3
4. Dejon Bivens (WU) def. Chad Simpson (LU) 6-3 6-1
5. Guy Kubi (WU) def. Louis Steyn (LU) 6-3 6-1
6. Daniel Daudt (WU) def. Juan Reyes (LU) 3-6 6-2 6-0