Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Hands Radford First Conference Loss
Liberty, which has won seven of its last eight matches, moves to 3-1 in Big South play and 11-7 overall. Radford, the three-time defending conference champion, falls to 4-1 in Big South action and 10-10 overall.
The Flames grabbed an early 1-0 lead by winning the No. 2 and No. 3 contests to capture the doubles point. The Liberty pairing of Giancarlo Lemmi and Chad Simpson defeated Zack Watson and Paul Boslet, 8-4, in the No. 2 match-up. The victory was the Liberty's duo's 12th of the spring. Flames Juan Reyes and Louis Steyn wrapped-up the point, remaining unbeaten at 8-0, with an 8-3 victory over Igor Ogrizek and Erik Finkenbrink at No. 3.
In singles, Liberty stretched its advantage to 3-0, with singles victories by Siim Tuus at No. 1 and Chad Simpson at No. 4. Tuus defeated Ivan Salec in three sets, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4. Simpson downed Boslet in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. The match was one of only two which did not go three sets.
Erik Finkenbrink trimmed the Liberty advantage to 3-1, by taking the No. 6 match-up. The Highlander won 6-3, 6-3, over Juan Reyes.
Shortly after Radford posted its first point, Liberty clinched the match. Senior Louis Steyn claimed a tightly-contested, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 win over Watson at No. 5 to close out the victory for the Flames.
With the match decided, the Highlanders added two victories for the final 4-3 score.
The Flames travel to Williamsburg, Va., tomorrow, for a non-conference match-up with the Tribe of William & Mary. Match time is scheduled for 5 p.m.
Liberty 4, Radford 3
1. TUUS, Siim (LU) def. SALEC, Ivan (RAD) 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
2. DEHAEN, Thomas (RAD) def. STAYT, Tristan (LU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-2)
3. OGRIZEK, Igor (RAD) def. LEMMI, Giancarlo (LU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
4. SIMPSON, Chad (LU) def. BOSLET, Paul (RAD) 6-4, 6-4
5. STEYN, Louis (LU) def. WATSON, Zack (RAD) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
6. FINKENBRINK, Erik (RAD) def. REYES, Juan (LU) 6-3, 6-3
1. DEHAEN, Thomas/SALEC, Ivan (RAD) def. TUUS, Siim/STAYT, Tristan (LU) 8-7 (7-3)
2. LEMMI, Giancarlo/SIMPSON, Chad (LU) def. WATSON, Zack/BOSLET, Paul (RAD) 8-4
3. REYES, Juan/STEYN, Louis (LU) def. OGRIZEK, Igor/FINKENBRINK, Erik (RAD) 8-3ll enjoy a week break before returning home