Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Defeats Gardner-Webb, 4-3
The Bulldogs won the doubles point. The Liberty pairing of Nadia Solomon-Burgess and Hannah Fick downed Ioana Opnea and Rita Gouveia, 8-6, in the No. 2 contest. However, Gardner Webb's Erica White and Kasey Ellis were able to edge Liberty's Jordan Jenkins and Carol Lobel in a tiebreaker, 9-7 (3), in the No. 1 contest, while the Bulldogs picked up a default at No. 3 for a 1-0 lead.
In singles, the Lady Flames rebounded by taking four of the five contested matches to comeback to win their first conference match of the year, 4-3. Jenkins won her 16th singles match of the spring, taking a 6-3, 6-3, win away from her No. 1 singles match against White. The Liberty junior's win total ties her career high for singles victories in a spring. Jenkins also won 16 as a freshman in 2008.
Solomon-Burgess posted her 13th singles win for the Lady Flames at the No. 2 spot. The senior defeated Opnea, 6-1, 6-4. Lobel made it a sweep of the top three positions in the Gardner-Webb line-up, with a 6-3,6-2 win over Rita Gouveia in the No. 3 contest. Fick rounded out the Lady Flames' winners, downing Runia Hutterli, 7-6 (3), 6-1.
Liberty next hosts Winthrop at the LU Tennis Courts on April 17. Match time is scheduled for 2 p.m.
LU 4 GWU 3
1. White/Ellis (GWU) def. Jenkins/Lobel (LU) 9-7 (3)
2. Solomon-Burgess/Fick def. Opnea/Gouveia (GWU) 8-6
3. Default to GWU
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) def. Erica White (GWU) 6-3 6-3
2. Nadia Solomon-Burgess (LU) def. Ioana Opnea (GWU) 6-1 6-4
3. Carol Lobel (LU) def. Rita Gouveia (GWU) 6-3 6-2
4. Kasey Ellis (GWU) def. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) 6-3 7-6(4)
5. Hannah Fick (LU) def. Runia Hutterli (GWU) 7-6 (3) 6-1
6. Default to GWU