Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Downs N.C. A&T
The Liberty Lady Flames posted a 6-1 victory over the North Carolina A&T Aggies, Wednesday in a non-conference women's tennis match.
Liberty grabbed the doubles point, with two wins. Jordan Jenkins and Carol Lobel combined for an 8-1 win over Nina Henry and Nianna Henry in the No. 1 contest. Nadia Solomon-Burgess and Hannah Fick closed out the doubles point for the Lady Flames, with an 8-1 victory over Azeib Nigatu and Cayla Cross in the No. 2 contest.
In singles, Liberty continued its success, taking all five matches contested for the 6-1 win. Jenkins won her 10th consecutive singles contest in grand fashion, not dropping a game, in a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Winnie Quick. Solomon-Burgess defeated Jaymel Jones, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 2 spot in the Lady Flames line-up. The singles win was the senior's 13th of the spring, one less than Jenkins, who has posted 14.
Liberty's Carol Lobel picked up a convincing win in the No. 3 contest. She downed Nina Henry, 6-0, 6-1. Fabiana Gouveia won for the Lady Flames at No. 4, 4-6, 6-2, 10-8. Fick rounded out the Liberty winners, with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Nigatu at No. 5.
The Lady Flames return home for a Big South Conference match on Friday. Liberty will host Gardner-Webb at the LU Tennis Courts. Match time is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Liberty 6, N.C. A&T 1
1. Jenkins/ Lobel (LU) def. Nina Henry/ Nianna Henry (NCAT) 8-1
2. Solomon-Burgess/Fick (LU) def. Nigatu/Cross (NCAT) 8-1
3. Default to N.C. A&T
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) def. Winnie Quick (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
2. Nadia Solomon Burgess (LU) def. Jaymel Jones (NCAT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Carol Lobel (LU) def. Nina Henry (NCAT) 6-0, 6-1
4. Fabiana Gouviea (LU) def. Cayla Cross (NCAT) 4-6,6-2, 10-8
5. Hannah Fick (LU) def. Azeib Nigatu (NCAT) 6-1, 6-2
6. Default to N.C. A&T