Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Downs UNC Asheville, 4-3
With victory, Liberty runs its Big South record to 2-1 and overall mark to 9-7. The Flames have won three straight matches and seven out of their last nine. UNC Ashville drops to 0-2 in conference play and 3-9 overall.
The doubles point proved to be the difference in the match, as Liberty swept the doubles matches for the decisive point. Siim Tuus and Tristan Stayt won at the No. 1 doubles spot, 8-3, over Bulldogs Matt Waissen and Jonas Brobech. In the No. 2 match, Giancarlo Lemmi and Chad Simpson were victors for the Flames, with an 8-3 win over Nicolai Nonnenbroich and Jonas Brobeck, 8-3. The win was the seventh consecutive win for the Liberty pair. Juan Reyes and Louis Steyn ran their mark to 6-0 in the No. 3 match, defeating Thomas Rees and Adrien Langeard, 8-4.
In singles, the two sides split the six matches, giving Liberty the overall match win at 4-3. Stayt recorded his 10th win of the year and his eighth straight win at No. 2 singles, as he downed Waissen in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. Lemmi won for the third consecutive match at No. 3 singles. The sophomore did not drop a game in a 6-0, 6-0 win against Brobeck. Steyn was the third winner in singles for the Flames. The senior downed Nathan White, 6-1, 6-3, in the No. 5 contest.
Liberty faces Gardner-Webb tomorrow afternoon at the LU Tennis Courts in a Big South contest. Match time is scheduled for 2 p.m.
LU 4, UNCA 3
1. Nicolai Nonnenbroich (UNCA) def. Siim Tuus (LU) 6-4 6-3
2. Tristan Stayt (LU) def. Matt Waissen (UNCA) 6-3 6-3
3. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) def. Jonas Brobeck (UNCA) 6-0 6-0
4. Adruen Langeard (UNCA) def. Chad Simpson (LU) 7-6 (3) 7-5
5. Louis Steyn (LU) def. Nathan White (UNCA) 6-1 6-3
6. Thomas Rees (UNCA) def. Ben Wirth (LU) 6-1 6-3
1. Tuus/Stayt (LU) def. Waissen/Brobeck (UNCA) 8-3
2. Lemmi/Simpson (LU) def. Nonnenbroich/White (UNCA) 8-3
3. Reyes/Steyn (LU) def. Rees/Langeard(UNCA) 8-4