Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Defeat Spartans, 4-3
The Liberty Lady Flames downed the Norfolk State Spartans, 4-3, Wednesday afternoon in women's tennis.
Liberty, 3-9 on the season, captured the doubles point, taking both contested matches. The Lady Flames were successful in doubles with new pairings. Jordan Jenkins and Carol Lobel won their No. 1 contest, 8-3, over Jenny Astbury and Naeemah Brooks. Nadia Solomon-Burgess and Fabiana Gouveia took the No. 2 match with an 8-1 victory over Rebecca Graff and Chenge Tsapayi.
In singles, the Lady Flames won three of the five contested matches to secure the 4-3 victory on the day. Jordan Jenkins picked up her 10th win of the year, with a victory in No. 1 singles. The junior dropped only one set in a 6-1, 6-0 win over Astbury. Lobel won in straight sets at No. 3 singles, 6-3, 6-4, over Tsapayi. Brittany Thomas was the third Lady Flame to capture her contest, with a 6-3, 6-1 win against Rebecca Graff in the No. 4 spot.
The Lady Flames will host UNC Asheville, Saturday at the Liberty Tennis Courts, starting at 10 a.m.
LU 4 NSU 3
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) def. Jenny Astbury (NSU) 6-1 6-0
2. Naeemah Brooks (NSU) def. Nadia Solomon-Burgess 2-6 1-0 (retire)
3. Carol Lobel (LU) def. Chenge Tsapayi (NSU) 6-3 6-4
4. Brittany Thomas (LU) def. Rebecca Graff (NSU) 6-3 6-1
5. Silvia Panush (NSU) def. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) 6-7 6-4 10-5
6. Deafult to NSU
1. Jenkins/Lobel (LU) def. Astbury/Brooks (NSU) 8-3
2. Solomon-Burgess/Gouveia (LU) def. Graff/Tsapyi (NSU) 8-1
3. Defualt to NSU