Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Downs Norfolk State
The Liberty Flames defeated the Norfolk State Spartans, 6-1, Wednesday afternoon.
With the win, Liberty moves to 8-7 on the season. The Flames have won six of their last eight matches. Norfolk State falls to 3-11 on the year.
Liberty opened the match with a win at No. 2 doubles and a default by Norfolk State at No. 3 doubles to take the pairing point. The Flames duo of Juan Reyes and Louis Steyn downed Jonathan Sessom and Keenan Ruff, 8-3, to remain unbeaten on the season. The victory runs the pair's mark to 6-0 on the year.
In singles, Liberty won four out of the five contested matches and picked up a default at No. 6 to take the match, 6-1. Tristan Stayt ran his singles win streak to seven straight, with a 6-1, 7-6 (6) victory over Ben Marks at the No. 2 position in Head Coach Chris Johnson's line-up.
Giancarlo Lemmi at No. 3, Ben Wirth at No. 4 and Monte Tiller at No.5 also picked up wins for Liberty. Just like Stayt, each of the three Flames won in straight sets.
LU 6 NSU 1
1. Arsenio Culver (NSU) def. Siim Tuus (LU) 6-4 6-4
2. Tristan Stayt (LU) def. Ben Marks (NSU) 6-1 7-6(6)
3. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) def. Jonathan Sessom (NSU) 6-2 6-1
4. Ben Wirth (LU) def. Keenan Ruff (NSU) 6-2 6-4
5. Monte Tiller (LU) def. Dexter McDowell (NSU) 6-0 6-0
6. Default to LU
1. Culver/Marks (NSU) def. Tuus/Stayt (LU) 8-4
2. Reyes/Steyn (LU) def. Sessom/Ruff (NSU) 8-3
3. Default to LU