Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Sweep Blue Hose
With the victory, Liberty evens it Big South Conference mark at 1-1 and moves 7-7 overall. Presbyterian drops to 0-2 in conference and 5-11 overall.
In doubles, the Flames won contests at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots to claim the first point of the match. Giancarlo Lemmi and Chad Simpson continued their unbeaten streak, downing Ivan Ho and Zach Sprouse without losing a point, 8-0. The victory was the sixth consecutive win for the pair and the 10th of the season. Jose Reyes and Louis Steyn also captured a win for Liberty in the No. 3 contest, 8-1, over Ed Snead and James Zacher.
In singles, Liberty won all six contests to achieve the sweep. The Flames won five out of the six matches in straight sets. Siim Tuus, Tristian Stayt, Lemmi, Simpson, Steyn and Ben Wirth each won their singles contests for the Flames. Stayt won for the sixth consecutive match, while Steyn was victorious in his fourth.
Liberty steps out of conference, Tuesday. The Flames will travel to Norfolk, Va., for a match with the Norfolk State Spartans. Match time is scheduled for 1 p.m.
LU 7 PC 0
1. Siim Tuus (LU) def. Andrew Brigham (PC) 7-6(7), 6-2
2. Tristan Stayt (LU) def. Matt Martin (PC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) def. Ivan Ho (PC) 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
4. Chad Simpson (LU) def. Zach Sprouse (PC) 7-6 (4), 6-1
5. Louis Steyn (LU) def. James Zaher (PC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Ben Wirth (LU) def. Ed Snead (PC) 6-4, 6-0
1. Brigham/Martin (PC) def. Tuus/Stayt (LU) 8-7 (4)
2. Lemmi/Simpson (LU) def. Ho/Sprouse (PC) 8-0
3. Reyes/Steyn (LU) def. Snead/Zacher (PC) 8-1