Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Post Win Over Huskies
Connecticut, 3-7, claimed the doubles to take the early advantage in the contest. The Liberty pairing of Jordan Jenkins and Nadia Solomon-Burgess remained unbeaten in doubles (4-0), with an 8-2 victory over Kelley Lo Rossu and Katie Mortiz in the No. 1 spot in the double line-up. However, the Huskies won in the No. 2 match-up and picked-up a default in the No. 3 contest to record the doubles point.
Liberty, 2-8, turned the match in its favor in singles, as the Lady Flames won four of the six contests. Jenkins and Solomon-Burgess each won for the eighth time this spring. Jenkins defeated Lo Rossu in the No. 1 contest, 7-5, 6-0. Solomon-Burgess downed Ali Campitiello, 6-1, 6-2, to take the No. 2 match-up.
Also a straight-set winner was Liberty newcomer Carol Lobel. She won her second consecutive contest at the No. 4 spot in the singles line-up, 6-1, 7-5, over the Husky Lauren Wilmarth.
The final Lady Flame winner, Fabiana Gouveia, rallied from a set down in her No. 3 contest. The senior captured the last two sets of the match-up for a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 triumph over Emily Herb.
Liberty returns home on Saturday for a Big South Conference match. The Lady Flames will host Winthrop at the LU Tennis Courts. Match time is scheduled for 2 p.m.
LU 4 UConn 3
1. Jenkins/Solomon-Burgess (LU) def. Lo Rosso/Moritz (UConn) 8-2
2. Campitiello/McKeon (UConn) def. Lobel/Thomas (LU) 8-4
3. Default to UConn
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) def. Kelley Lo Rossu (UConn) 7-5 6-0
2. Nadia Solomon-Burgess (LU) def. Ali Campitiello (UConn) 6-1 6-2
3. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) def. Emily Herb (UConn) 4-6 6-4 6-3
4. Carol Lobel (LU) def. Lauren Wilmarth (UConn) 6-1 7-5
5. Alexa Gregory (UConn) def. Brittany Thomas (LU) 6-2 6-2
6. Default to UConn