Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Runs Win Streak to Three Straight
The match concluded Liberty's Spring Break trip, 3-0. With victories in five of their last six contests, the Flames even their record at 6-6 overall. Southern Illinois-Edwardsville falls to 1-1.
As in each of its previous matches in Orlando, Liberty opened the contest with a sweep of the doubles. Siim Tuus and Tristan Stayt did not drop a point in dispatching Paulo Gonzalez and Michael Chamberlain, 8-0, in the No.1 match. Giancarlo Lemmi and Chad Simpson took the No. 2 contest in similar fashion, winning 8-1 over Robert Young and Carkis Sanchez. Juan Reyes and Louis Steyn completed the Liberty sweep with an 8-4 victory over Dylan Reed and Jeremy Knipp.
In singles, the Flames won four of the six contests to capture the 5-2 victory. Each of Liberty's four victories came in straight sets. Lemmi, slotted at No.2 in the Liberty line-up, won 6-1, 6-1 over Young. Simpson defeated Devan Faulkenberg, 6-0, 6-4 in the No.3 match. Steyn did not lose game in a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Reed at the No. 4 spot, while Ben Wirth at No. 6 took his contest, 6-2, 6-2, over Jordan Faulkenberg.
Liberty seniors Steyn and Simpson each posted 3-0 records during their time in Florida.
The Flames return home on Saturday for a Big South Conference match against the Winthrop Eagles. Match time at the LU Tennis Courts is scheduled for 10 a.m.
LU 5 SIEU 2
1. Tuus/Stayt (LU) def. Gonzalez/Chamberlain (SIEU) 8-0
2. Lemmi/Simpson (LU) def. Young/Sanchez (SIEU) 8-1
3. Reyes/Steyn (LU) def. Reed/Knipp (SIEU) 8-4
1. Paulo Gonzalez (SIEU) def. Siim Tuus (LU) 6-4 5-7 10-8
2. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) def. Robert Young (SIEU) 6-1 6-1
3. Chad Simpson (LU) def, Devan Faulkenberg (SIEU) 6-0 6-4
4. Louis Steyn (LU) def. Dylan Reed (SIEU) 6-0 6-0
5. Carkis Sanchez (SIEU) def. Juan Reyes (LU) 6-4 6-4
6. Ben Wirth (LU) def. Jordan Faulkenberg (SIEU) 6-2 6-2