Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Downs Northern Illinois
Its fourth win in five matches, the Flames move to 5-6 on the season. Northern Illinois falls to 4-7.
For the second consecutive match in Florida, Liberty swept the doubles contests. Siim Tuus and Tristan Stayt paired to win their seventh match of the season, with an 8-5 victory over Mikhail Titov and Roman Turtygin in the No. 1 match-up. Flames Giancarlo Lemmi and Chad Simpson defeated Javier Bernabe and Maksym Bartuik in the No. 2 contest, 8-0. Louis Steyn and Juan Reyes completed the Liberty doubles sweep at No. 3, downing Max Phillips and Greg Czajkowski, 8-2.
In singles, Liberty won contests No.2 through No.6, five out of the six matches, to take the overall contest, 6-1. All five of the Flames' wins were in straight sets. Stayt at No.2, Lemmi at No. 3, Simpson at No.4, Steyn at No. 5 and Reyes at No. 6 each were victors in singles.
Liberty concludes its Spring Break trip tomorrow. The Flames will play the final of their three matches in Orlando against Southern Illinois. Match time is scheduled for 9 a.m.
LU 6 NIU 1
1. Tuus/Stayt (LU) def. Titov/Turtygin (NIU) 8-5
2. Lemmi/Simpson (LU) def. Bernabe/Bartuik (NIU) 8-0
3. Steyn/Reyes (LU) def. Phillips/Czajkowski (NIU) 8-2
1. Maksym Bartuik (NIU) def. Siim Tuus (LU) 6-3 6-2
2. Tristan Stayt (LU) def. Mikhail Titov (NIU) 6-4 6-3
3. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) def. Javier Bernabe (NIU) 6-4 6-2
4. Chad Simpson (LU) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU) 6-1 6-0
5. Louis Steyn (LU) def. Max Phillips (NIU) 7-5 6-0
6. Juan Reyes (LU) def. Greg Czajkowski (NIU) 6-4 7-5