Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Start Trip with Win
The Flames, who will play three matches over the next three days in Orlando, move to 4-6 on the year. Liberty has won three out of its last four contests. The loss drops Fairfield to 2-4.
The Flames opened the match with a sweep of the doubles match-ups. Liberty's Siim Tuus and Tristan Stayt won their sixth contest of the spring, with an 8-6 win over Joe Micalsin and Robert Ferrante in the No. 1 match.
Chad Simpson and Giancarlo Lemmi moved up one spot in Coach Chris Johnson's line-up to No. 2, but continued their strong spring in doubles, downing Dan Sauter and Ryan Berthod, 8-1. The win ups their mark to 6-2. In their first match together this season, Louis Steyn and Juan Reyes paired to complete the sweep, winning at No. 3 doubles, 8-0, against brothers, Erik and Mark Kremleller.
Liberty took the match by prevailing in four out of the six singles contests. Three Flames won in straight sets. Simpson defeated Ferrante, 7-6 (0), 6-2, at No. 3. Steyn did not drop a game in a 6-0, 6-0, victory over Berthod in the No. 4 match-up. Ben Wirth won his sixth match of the spring, with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Bob Kelly at No. 6
Tuus claimed the fourth singles triumph by a Flame. The freshman rallied from a set down for a 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 victory over Sauter.
Liberty will face the Northern Illinois Huskies tomorrow afternoon in Orlando. Match time is set for 9 a.m.
Liberty 5, Fairfield 2
1. Tuus/Stayt (LU) def. Michalsin/Ferrante (FFU) - 8-6
2. Simpson/Lemmi (LU) def. Sauter/Berthod (FFU) - 8-1
3. Steyn/Reyes (LU) def. Kremleller/Kremleller (FFU) - 8-0
1. Siim Tuus (LU) def. Dan Sauter (FFU) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
2. Joe Michalsin (FFU) def. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) - 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
3. Chad Simpson (LU) def. Robert Ferrante (FFU) - 7-6, (f) 6-2
4. Louis Steyn (LU) def. Ryan Berthod (FFU) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Erik Kremleller (FFU) def. Juan Reyes (LU) - 6-1, 6-1
6. Ben Wirth (LU) def. Bob Kelly (FFU) - 6-0, 6-1