Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Fall in Conference Opener
The host Buccaneers captured the doubles point to open the match. The Liberty pairing of Jordan Jenkins and Nadia Solomon-Burgess won the No. 1 doubles contest, with an 8-7 (4) win over Angie Torres and Andrea Schutte. However, Charleston Southern took the No. 2 doubles match and picked up a default in the No. 3 contest to put the point on its side of the scoreboard.
In singles, the Buccaneers won four of the five matches contested and picked up a default at No. 6 for the final margin of victory. Solomon-Burgess was the lone winner in singles for the Lady Flames, defeating Marija Dzakovic, 6-0, 6-3. The victory was the fifth consecutive singles win for the senior.
Liberty falls to 1-6 overall and 0-1 in Big South Conference play. Charleston Southern moves to 4-0 overall and 1-0 in conference action.
The Lady Flames will travel will stay in the state of South Carolina tomorrow for a Big South Conference match at Coastal Carolina. Match time is scheduled for 10 a.m.
CSU 6 LU 1
1. MAKHOVA, Olga (CSU) def. JENKINS, Jordan (LIBERTY) 6-7, 7-5, 10-6
2. SOLOMON-BURGESS, N. (LIBERTY) def. DZAKOVIC, Marija (CSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. SCHUTTE, Andrea (CSU) def. GOUVEIA, Fabiana (LIBERTY) 6-0, 6-2
4. PLETCHER, Brooke (CSU) def. LOBEL, Carol (LIBERTY) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
5. DAS, Susita (CSU) def. THOMAS, Brittany (LIBERTY) 6-2, 6-3
6. TORRES, Angie (CSU) win by default
1. JENKINS, Jordan/SOLOMON-BURGESS, N. (LIBERTY) def. TORRES, Angie/SCHUTTE, Andrea (CSU) 8-7 (7-4)
2. DZAKOVIC, Marija/MAKHOVA, Olga (CSU) def. THOMAS, Brittany/LOBEL, Carol (LIBERTY) 8-3
3. PLETCHER, Brooke/DAS, Susita (CSU) win by default