Flames NewsFlames Home > Wrestling Home > News
Castro Previews NCAA East Regional Field
As part of LibertyFlames.com's continuing preview coverage of the 2010 NCAA East Regional Wrestling Championships, Nick Pierce had a chance to sit down with Jesse Castro and get the Flames head coach's view of this year's field.
For a second time this week, a national wrestling web site has provided its view of the 10 different weight classes at this year's NCAA Regional with a preview coming from TheOpenMat.com.
During his 10-minute audio interview, Pierce asked Castro about several of the key weight classes TheOpenMat.com feels that a Liberty wrestler has a chance to capture a national-qualifying victory.
The forecasting story certainly favors the Flames to walk away with their fourth-straight NCAA East Regional Championship, Saturday afternoon, inside Pucillo Gymnasium.
Liberty is currently listed as the No. 1 or No. 2 grappler in nine of the 10 weight classes, with Jonathan Childress ranking No. 3 at 125 pounds.
The Flames are favored in four weight classes and share the top seed in a fifth. Liberty's Joe Pantaleo (133 pounds), Scott Clymer (141 pounds), Frankie Gayeski (149 pounds) and Chad Porter (165 pounds) each lead their individual weight listings, while Nick Knowles is in a dead heat with Duquesne's Ryan Sula at 184 pounds.
If TheOpenMat.com's predictions hold true, the Flames could find themselves on the verge of a record-setting day in Millersville, Pa.
In terms of predicted first or second-place finishes, Gardner-Webb is next on the list with three top-ranked grapplers (125, 197 and 285) and a runner-up finish (141). Millersville is forecasted to claim victory in two weight divisions (157 and 174) and finish second in two more (149 and 165).
Rounding out the field are Campbell, which is predicted with a pair of runner-up finishes (125 and 133) and Duquesne's lone mention is the possible crown at 184 pounds.
To read the full article previewing this year's NCAA East Regional Championship offered by TheOpenMat.com, please click here.
LibertyFlames.com will wrap up its preview coverage of the upcoming East Regional tomorrow with a complete breakdown of the 10 grapplers Liberty will be sending out onto the mats on Saturday.
TheOpenMat.com Weight Class Rankings for the 2010 NCAA East Regional Champoinships
1. Michael Slaughter - Gardner-Webb (Jr.) 15-7
2. C.J. Gittens - Campbell (Sr.) 13-11
3. Jonathan Childress - Liberty (Fr.) 10-14
1. Joe Pantaleo - Liberty (R-Fr.) 13-10
2. Richie Apolinar - Campbell (Sr.) 13-16
3. Jake Swink - Duquesne (Fr.) 9-21
1. Scott Clymer - Liberty (R-So.) 18-10
2. Richie Spicel - Gardner-Webb (R-Fr.) 14-9
3. Tony Lascari - Duquesne (Sr.) 15-13
4. Mike Greck - Millersville (So.) 14-7
1. No. 20 Frankie Gayeski - Liberty (R-Sr.) 24-6
2. J.J. Lester - Millersville (Jr.) 13-16
3. Ryan Medved - Gardner-Webb (R-Fr.) 18-16
1. Jarrett Hostetter - Millersville (R-Sr.) 21-5
2. Shaun Smith - Liberty (Sr.) 17-8
3. Alex Medved - Gardner-Webb (R-Fr.) 20-15
1. Chad Porter - Liberty (R-Jr.) 21-9
2. Jeremy Brooks - Millersville (Sr.) 7-6
3. Matt Gregg - Duquesne (Jr.) 6-13
1. Shane Smith - Millersville (R-So.) 21-7
2. Brad Clark - Liberty (R-So.) 17-12
3. Seth Csaszar - Duquesne (Fr.) 8-12
1 or 2. Ryan Sula - Duquesne (Sr.) 12-12
1 or 2. Nick Knowles - Liberty (Jr.) 15-14
3. Jason Foor - Millersville (R-So.) 9-17
1. Travis Porter - Gardner-Webb (So.) 14-13
2. Jacobi Johnson - Liberty (Jr.) 10-19
3. Parker Burns - Campbell (Jr.) 10-8
1. No. 12 Dustin Porter - Gardner-Webb (R-Sr.) 31-5
2. Josh Pelletier - Liberty (R-Jr.) 14-7
3. Khiry Reid - Campbell (So.) 1-1