Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Falls to Campbell
The Camels (4-2) opened the match by capturing the doubles point with victories in two of the three doubles contests. Liberty's Louis Steyn and Ben Wirth claimed a win in the No. 2 match over Loukas Wallaart and Ondrej Kralik, 8-4. However, Campbell won 8-6 in both the No. 1 and No. 3 matches to stake itself to a 1-0 advantage.
In singles, the Flames (1-4) and Camels ( split the six matches, giving Campbell the overall match victory. Liberty's Giancarlo Lemmi bested Beto Mondini in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 3 contests, while teammate Chad Simpson collected a tightly contested three set No. 4 contest with Wallaart, 7-6 (8), 4-6, 7-6 (4). Steyn won Ondrej Kralik, 6-0, 6-2.
However, Campbell was able to take three-set victories at No. 1 and No. 2 singles and win the No. 6 contest to trim the Flames in the overall match.
Liberty travels to Virginia next weekend to take on the nationally-ranked Cavaliers. Match time is scheduled for Noon.
CU 4 LU 3
1. Sum/Kaniewski (CU) def. Tuus/Stayt (LU) 8-6
2. Steyn/ Wirth (LU) def. Wallaart/Kralik (CU) 8-4
3. Lamzouri/Baro (CU) def. Simpson/ Lemmi (LU) 8-6
1. Davy Sum (CU) def. Siim Tuus (LU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-0
2. Larbi Lamzouri (CU) def. Tristan Stayt (LU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) def. Beto Mondini (CU) 6-0. 6-2
4. Chad Simpson (LU) def. Loukas Wallaart (CU) 7-6 (8), 4-6, 7-6 (4)
5. Louis Steyn (LU) def. Ondrej Kralik (CU) 6-0, 6-2
6. David Clavera (CU) def. Ben Wirth (LU) 7-6 (3), 6-3