Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Edged by Camels
The Camels (3-2) opened the non-conference match by taking the doubles point with two victories in the three doubles contests. The Liberty No. 1 pairing of Jordan Jenkins and Hannah Fick won for the fourth time this season, defeating Cristina Garcia and Ana Surviladze, 8-6. However, the Camels captured wins at No.2 and No. 3 doubles, including a 9-7 victory in the No. 3 contest to claim the point.
In singles, the Lady Flames (1-5) rallied; winning matches at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3. However, Campbell was able to split the singles matches, with victories at No. 4, 5 and 6 to edge out Liberty for a 4-3 victory.
Jenkins and Nadia Solomon-Burgess each upped their individual singles records to 5-1 on the season. Jenkins defeated Lisa Sutton of Campbell, 7-5, 6-0 in the No. 1 contest. Solomon-Burgess also triumphed in straight sets in the No. 2 contest, 6-3, 6-2, over Garcia. Fick picked-up the final Liberty singles victory, when her opponent withdrew in the second set.
Liberty returns to the courts on March 5, when it opens Big South Conference play at Charleston Southern. Match time is scheduled for 1 p.m.
CU 4 LU 3
1. Jenkins/ Fick (LU) def. Garcia/ Surviladze (CU) 8-6
2. Sutton/Nikolova (CU) def. Lobel/Gouviea (LU) 8-2
3. Gomar/ Saenz (CU) def. Burgess/Thomas (LU) 9-7
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) def. Lisa Sutton (CU) 7-5, 6-0
2. Nadia Solomon Burgess (LU) def. Cristina Garcia (CU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Hannah Fick (LU) def. Blanca Saenz (CU) 7-5, 3-0 (withdrew)
4. Borislava Nikolova (CU) def. Fabiana Gouviea (LU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ana Surviladze (CU) def. Carol Lobel (LU) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (4)
6. Anais Gomar (CU) def. Brittany Thomas (LU) 7-5, 6-3