Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Edged by Pirates
The Flames (1-3) jumped on top in the contest, claiming two of the three doubles contests for an early 1-0 lead in the overall match. Liberty's No. 1 pairing of Siim Tuus and Tristan Stayt took their contest with East Carolina's Henrik Skalmerud and Stian Tvedt, 8-5. Later, Flames Giancarlo Lemmi and Chad Simpson won the No. 3 doubles matchup, 8-2, over Jaroslav Horvath and John Schmidt to capture the doubles point for Liberty. The victory kept the Flames duo unbeaten so far this spring.
In singles, the Pirates (7-1) rallied to trim their guests in the overall match. After dropping contests at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots in the singles lineup to East Carolina, Liberty's Giancarlo Lemmi rebounded after falling in the first set of the No. 3 match for a 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7) win over Henrik Skalmerud.
The Flames also got a come-from-behind win at No. 6 singles by Ben Wirth, 3-6, 7-5, 10-8, against Pirate Bryan Oakley. However, Liberty could not break through in either the No. 4 or No. 5 matches, as East Carolina trimmed the Flames, 4-3.
Liberty returns home on Saturday for a contest with Campbell. Weather permitting, the match will be the first match ever held at the Liberty Tennis Courts. Match time is scheduled for 1 p.m.
ECU 4 LU 3
1. Jaroslav Horvath (ECU) def. Siim Tuus (LU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Stephen Whitwell (ECU) def. Tristan Stayt (LU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) def. Henrik Skalmerud (ECU) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6(7)
4. Massinmo Mannino (ECU) def. Chad Simpson (LU) 4-6, 7-6(6), 6-2
5. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Louis Steyn (LU) 7-6(2), 6-2
6. Ben Wirth (LU) def. Bryan Oakley (ECU) 3-6, 7-5, 10-8
1.Tuus/Stayt (LU) def. Skalmerud/Tvedt (ECU) 8-5
2. Whitwell/Oakley (ECU) def. Wirth/Steyn (LU) 8-2
3. Lemmi/Simpson (LU) def. Horvath/Schmitt (ECU) 8-2