Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Edged by Appalachian State
The Mountaineers (1-1) opened the contest by taking the doubles point with wins in two out of three of the tandem matches. Liberty's No. 3 pairing of Chad Simpson and Giancarlo Lemmi remained unbeaten this season, downing Appalachian State's Luka Vujinovic and Britton Webb, 8-5, for the Flames only doubles victory.
In singles, Liberty (1-2) split the six matches with the Mountaineers, giving the visitors the overall match win. The Flames recorded victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 contests. Freshman Siim Tuus defeated Mountaineer Trent Constance, 6-2, 6-3, in the No. 1 contest. Liberty's Tristan Stayt defeated Peter Jacobs 6-4, 7-6 (7) in the No. 2 match-up.
The Mountaineers claimed victory in the No. 3, 4 and 5 contests to take the overall match. Liberty's Louis Steyn won in three sets over Ezekiel Sangsing, 6-3, 3-6, 16-14 in the No. 6 contest for the other Flames singles win.
Liberty returns to the courts on Wednesday. The Flames will travel to East Carolina for a match with the Pirates. The contest is scheduled for 1 p.m.
ASU 4 LU 3
1. Constance/Jacobs (ASU.) def. Tuus/Stayt (LU) 8-5
2. Kloc/Humbelt (ASU) def. Wirth/Steyn (LU) 8-4
3. Simpson/Lemmi (LU) def. Vujinovic/Webb 8-5
1. Siim Tuus (LU) def Trent Constance (ASU) 6-2 6-3
2. Tristan Stayt (LU) def Peter Jacobs (ASU) 6-4 7-6 (7)
3. Phil Kloc (ASU) def. Giancarlo Lemmi (LU) 6-2 6-1
4. Alain Humblet (ASU) def. Chad Simpson (LU) 6-3 6-3
5. Andrew McKinnonn (ASU) def. Ben Wirth (LU) 6-4 6-4
6. Louis Steyn (LU) def. Ezekiel Sangsing (ASU) 6-4 3-6 16-14