Flames Home > Women's Soccer Home > News

Even Matchup Leads to 1-1 Tie for Liberty

October 3, 2009
|  Lynchburg, Va.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Box Score

Lady Flame Maria Owen

Lady Flame Maria Owen

The Lady Flames hosted an evenly-matched Charleston Southern team in a Big South Conference opener that ended in a 1-1 tie after two overtime periods, Saturday afternoon, at Osborne Stadium.

Liberty outshot the Lady Buccaneers 18-16, and Liberty's Karen Blocker and Charleston Southern's Jena Lalich each tallied six saves.

The Lady Flames took the lead early, scoring the first goal of the match in the fifth minute. Silvia Betancourt sent a wide pass to Aimee Luurtsema, who crossed to Maria Owen, who was then able to put it past Lalich for a 1-0 Liberty advantage.

The Lady Buccaneers came storming back in the 11th minute, as Lindsey Trexler went one-on-one with Blocker. Blocker was able to deflect Trexler's first attempt at close range, but Trexler managed to sneak her second shot into the corner of the net, tying the game, 1-1.

The two squads alternated controlling play for the remainder of the first period, and despite shots by Betancourt, Owen, Rachel Michener and Alyssa Anderson, the Lady Flames could not manage to break the tie before the half.

The second half was similar to the first, with the Lady Flames barely outshooting the Lady Buccaneers, 7-6. Bekah Moye made an attempt early in the second half that sailed over the post. Anderson also came close in the 67th minute, taking a shot off a long pass from Betancourt, but it too missed high.

Madison Short's attempt at 72:05 was deflected by Lalich, as was Jordan Woody's try at 74:57. The Lady Buccaneers faced the same fate, as shots by Trexler, Marky Boyce and Catenacci were blocked by the Liberty defense. The match remained tied, 1-1, at the end of regulation, sending the Lady Flames into their first overtime session of 2009.

In the first 10-minute overtime period, the number of shots tapered off, as both squads struggled to gain offensive control. Jen Vroman made a scoring attempt in the 91st minute that was saved by Blocker. Owen's shot at 93:58 was blocked, and Luurtsema's shot at 95:41 sailed wide. In the 98th minute, Boyce's attempt for Charleston Southern was stopped by Blocker, and the game stayed tied going into the second and final overtime period.

Two fouls were called on Liberty in the first three minutes of the second overtime, and a shot by Charleston Southern's Caitlin Wesnesky missed high at 106:15. Ariana Espinoza made a try at the 108:00 mark that also missed high, and Luurtsema took the final shot of the contest in the last minute, also missing over the post.

The 1-1 tie sends Liberty's record to 3-6-1, while the Lady Buccaneers are now 7-3-1.

Charleston Southern's Boyce led all players with six shots, while Trexler scored the Lady Buccaneers' goal.

Michener led the Lady Flames with four shots, followed by Owen with three. Owen also scored Liberty's lone goal, assisted by Betancourt and Luurtsema.

Liberty held the advantage in corner kicks, 4-3.

The Lady Flames continue Big South play on Monday, hosting Coastal Carolina. Match time is set for 4 p.m. at Osborne Stadium.