Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
No. 6 Liberty Defeats No. 3 High Point in First Round of 2006 Big South Women's Tennis Tournament
The sixth-seeded Liberty Lady Flames defeated No. 3 seed High Point, 4-2, in the first round of the 2006 Big South Women's Tennis Championship Thursday night at the Birmingham Southern College Tennis Complex.
Liberty jumped out to the 1-0 lead taking the doubles point. The Lady Flames' Jonita Randolph and Maryna Hanusz downed High Point's Suzanne Celensu and Kelly Tolman 8-6 at the No. 1 flight. At No. 2 doubles, Ekaterina Kuznetsova and Dina Senkina of Liberty defeated Ann-Charlotte Talus and Iris Schaabetsberger of High Point, 8-2. High Point's lone doubles win came from the tandem of Rebecca Carr and Jody Wicks as the duo defeated Erica Fredstrom and Livia Branco, 8-4.
In singles action, Liberty's Jonita Randolph knocked off Suzanne Celensu, 2-6, 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 1 flight. At No. 2, Senkina defeat Ekaterina Kuznetsova defeated Sarah McDonaugh, 2-6, 6-2, 6-1. For High Point, Iris Schaabetsberger downed Martyna Hanusz at No. 4, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1, while teammate Jody Wicks picked up the 6-1, 6-4 win over Livia Branco at No. 6.
With the win, Liberty moves on to the semifinals were it will play Coastal Carolina at 1:00pm CT on Friday, April 14.
1. RANDOLPH, Jonita (LU) def. CELENSU, Suzanne (HPU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. SENKINA, Dina (LU) def. TALUS, Ann-Charlotte (HPU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-0
3. CARR, Rebecca (HPU) vs. FREDSTROM, Erica (LU) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 3-2,
4. SCHAABETSBERGER,Iris (HPU) def. HANUSZ, Martyna (LU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 5. KUZNETSOVA, Ekaterina (LU) def. McDONAUGH, Sarah (HPU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1 6. WICKS, Jody (HPU) def. BRANCO, Livia (LU) 6-1, 6-4
1. RANDOLPH/HANUSZ(LU) def. CELENSU/TOLMAN, Kelly (HPU) 8-6
2. KUZNETSOVA/SENKINA (LU) def. TALUS/SCHAABETSBERGER (HPU) 8-2
3. CARR/WICKS (HPU) def. FREDSTROM/BRANCO (LU) 8-4