Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Winthrop Downs Liberty
The Winthrop Lady Eagles finished its regular season with a perfect 7-0 Big South Conference record on Sunday afternoon as it defeated Liberty 5-2 at the Eshbenshade-Hershey Tennis Court.
With the setback, their first in five matches, Liberty falls to 9-8 on the season and 3-4 in conference, while Winthrop moves to 13-9 overall and 7-0 in the Big South.
The Lady Eagles caputured all three doubles contests to take the doubles point to start the afternoon.
In singles, the Lady Flames would have to winners as Winthrop won the team victory with four single winners.
Dina Senkina (Fr., Moscow, Russia) ran her record to 16-1 in singles this spring with a straight set victory in #2 singles. Teammate Livia Branco (Fr., Sao Paulo, Brazil) was the other Lady Flame winner with a straight set win in #6 singles.
The Lady Flames now head to the Big South Women's Tennis Championship which begins Thursday in Birmingham, Ala.
1. Ana Paula Novaes (WU) def. Jonita Randolph (LU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Dina Senkina (LU) def. Patricia Coimbra (WU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Yolanda Araujo (WU) def. Erica Fedstrom (LU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Paula Takahashi (WU) def. Martina Hanusz (LU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Larisa Bekmetova (WU) def. Katerina Kuznetsova (LU) 6-1,6-2
6. Livia Branco (LU) def. Alexandra Dyckman (WU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Ana Paula Novaes/Paula Takahashi (WU) def. Jonita Randolph/Martina Hanusz (LU) 8-2
2. Yolanda Araujo/Patricia Coimbra (WU) def. Dina Senkina/Katerina Kuznetsova (LU) 8-5
3. Larisa Bekmetova/Alexandra Dyckman (WU) def. Livia Branco/Erica Fedstrom (LU) 8-1