Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Pick Up Conference Win Over High Point
Winning the all important doubles point, the Liberty Lady Flames defeated the High Point Panthers, 4-3, in Big South women's tennis action at the High Point Tennis Complex, Wednesday.
Liberty improves to 6-7 overall and 2-3 in the Big South, while High Point falls to 5-11 overall and 4-3 in conference.
The Lady Flames got off to a strong start on the afternoon, picking up the doubles point early by winning two of the three doubles contests. Jonita Randolph (Jr., Townville, S.C.) and Martyna Hanusz (So., Stalowa Wola, Poland) won the #1 doubles match, 8-4, while teammates Dina Senkina (Fr.,) and Ekaterina Kuznetsova (Fr., Krasnogorsk, Russia) took the #2 doubles match, 8-2.
In singles play and up 1-0, Liberty won three of the six matches to capture their second conference team victory of the season. Randolph in #1 singles, Senkina in #2 singles and Kuznetsova in #5 singles all claimed singles wins and were dual winners on the afternoon.
The Lady Flames take the weekend off, before hosting in-state Big South rival Radford Tuesday afternoon. Match time is scheduled for 3 p.m.
1. Jonita Randolph (LU) def. Suzanne Celensu (HPU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Dena Senkina (LU) def. A.C. Talus (HPU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Becci Carr (HPU) def. Erica Fredstrom (LU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-0
4. Iris Schabetsberger (HPU) def. Martyna Hanusz (LU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) def. Jody Wicks (HPU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Kelly Tolman (HPU) def. Livia Branco (LU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Randolph/Hanusz (LU) def. Celensu/Tolman (HPU) 8-4
2. Senkina/Kuznetsova (LU) def. Talus/Schabetsberger (HPU) 8-2
3. Carr/Wicks (HPU) def. Branco/Fredstrom (LU) 8-0