Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
No. 1 Radford Defeats No. 8 Liberty In First Round of 2006 Big South Men's Tennis Tournament
The top-seeded Radford Highlanders defeated No. 8 seed Liberty, 4-1, in the first round of the 2006 Big South Men's Tennis Championship Thursday morning at the Birmingham Southern College Tennis Complex.
Radford jumped out to the 1-0 lead taking the doubles point. Radford's Martin Sayer and Arthur Vasarevic downed Liberty's Jarda Tojan and Joseph Withers 8-2 at the No. 1 flight. At No. 2 doubles, Brandon Johnson and James Lloyd of Radford defeated Braen Aneiros and Carlos Cardona of Liberty, 8-1. Liberty's duo of Priit Pihl and Sebstian Pena downed the Highlander tandem of Mehdi Benhammou and Tyler Early, 8-3.
In singles action, Radford's Sayer knocked off LU's Pihl 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 1 flight. At No. 3, Vasaraevic downed Pena, 6-2, 6-0. Johnson took the No. 4 flight 6-1, 6-3, over Flame netter Cardona. Withers picked up the Flames' lone win in singles over Early 6-1, 6-2.
With the win, Radford improves to 16-3 overall and moves on to the semifinals were it will play the winner of the No. 4 Coastal Carolina/No. 5 High Point match at 10:30am CT on Friday, April 14.
1. #26 SAYER, Martin (RU) def. PIHL, Priit (LU) 6-2, 6-3
2. LLOYD, James (RU) vs. TROJAN, Jarda (LU) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
3. VASAREVIC, Arthur (RU) def. PENA, Sebastian (LU) 6-2, 6-0
4. JOHNSON, Brandon (RU) def. CARDONA, Carlos (LU) 6-1, 6-3
5. BENHAMMOU, Mehdi (RU) vs. ANEIROS, Braen (LU) 7-5, 4-0, unfinished
6. WITHERS, Joseph (LU) def. EARLY, Tyler (RU) 6-1, 6-2
1. SAYER/VASAREVIC (RU) def. TROJAN/WITHERS (LU) 8-2
2. LLOYD/JOHNSON(RU) def. ANEIROS/CARDONA (LU) 8-1
3. PIHL/PENA (LU) def. BENHAMMOU/EARLY(RU) 8-3