Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Fall to Eagles
The Winthrop Eagles secured the second seed at the Big South Conference Tournament as it collected a 6-1 victory over the Liberty Flames on Sunday afternoon at the Eshbenshade-Hershey Tennis Courts.
The Flames finish the regular season at 2-13 overall and 0-7 in the Big South, while the Eagles 13-6 and 6-1 in the Big South.
The doubles point went to Winthrop's favor as the Eagles topped the Flames in each of the three doubles contests.
In the singles, the Eagles had wins from their top five players. Joseph Withers was the lone winner for the Flames capturing the #6 singles contest in a super tie-breaker.
Liberty next travels to the Big South Conference Men's Tennis Champions, which begin on Thursday. The event will take place at Birmingham-Southern in Birmingham, Ala. and will be played from Thursday to Saturday.
1. Vinicius Bortolatto (WU) def. Priit Phil (LU) 6-3, 7-6
2. Rodrigo Santos (WU) def. Jarda Trojan (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Alejandro Portugal (WU) def. Sebastian Pena (LU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Arthur Takahashi (WU) def. Carlos Cardona (LU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jorge Padilla (WU) def. Braen Aneiros (LU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Joseph Withers (LU) def. Thiago Barobsa (WU) 3-6, 6-4, 10-2
1. Rodrigo Santos/Germano Knorr (WU) def. Braen Aneiros/Carlos Cardona (LU) 8-1
2. Jorge Padilla/Alejandro Portugal (WU) def. Jarda Trojan/Joseph Withers (LU) 8-6
3. Arthur Takahashi/Vinicius Bortolatto (WU) def. Priit Phil/Sebastian Pena (LU) 8-4