Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Virginia Intermont Edges Liberty
The Virginia Intermont Cobras won the doubles point then split the singles matches with the Liberty Flames for a 4-3 victory, Wednesday afternoon at the E.C. Glass Tennis Courts.
The Cobras claimed the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead to open the match. The Flames tandem of Joseph Withers (Fr., Peoria, Ill.) and Sebastian Pena (So., Santiago , Chile) won Liberty's lone doubles match, 8-6, over Jon Jonsson and Arturo Hernandez at #2 doubles.
The two teams then split the six singles matches to give Virginia Intermont the team victory. Jarda Trojan (Prague, Czech Republic) and Pena, the only dual winner for the Flames, won their matches in tiebreakers, while Carlos Cardona (Sr., Bogota, Columbia) was the only Liberty player to win in straight sets in singles.
The Flames fall to 0-3 on the season.
Liberty begins Big South match play tomorrow afternoon by hosting rival Radford at the E.C. Glass Tennis Courts. The match is scheduled for 3 p.m.
1. Travis Sandlant/Alex Eisler-Ahlgren (VIC) def. Priit Pihl/Jarda Trojan (LU) 8-4
2. Joseph Withers/Sebastian Pena (LU) def. Jon Jonsson/Arturo Hernandez (VI) 8-6
3. Jonatan Berhane/Milan Kosicky (VIC) def. Braen Aneiros/Carlos Cardona (LU) 8-3
1. Travis Sandlant (VIC) def. Priit Pihl (LU) 6-3, 6-2
2. JardaTrojan (LU) def. Alex Eister-Ahlgren (VI) 2-6, 6-4 (10-8)
3. Carlos Cardona (LU) def. Jon Jonsson (VI) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jonatan Berhane (VIC) def. Joseph Withers (LU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Sebastian Pena (LU) def. Arturo Hernandez (VI) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Andrew Conley (VI) def. Fabricio Picanco (LU) 6-1, 6-1