Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Soccer Home > News
Free Kicks with Laura Nyholt
Today, LibertyFlames.com continues its women's soccer feature, "Free Kicks with …" The tri-weekly feature hopes to help you get to know the Lady Flames a bit better. The feature continues today with sophomore Laura Nyholt.
Nyholt, a midfielder, is in her second season with the Lady Flames. Due to injury, she sat out this season, after playing in 12 matches a year ago. In 2007, she made four starts in the midfield and attempted four shots.
In addition, she earned Big South Presidential Honor Roll status. Her twin sister, Ashley, is a goalkeeper on the Lady Flames roster.
A graduate of St. Thomas Aquinas High School, the Brampton, Ontario native was captain of her high school team. The squad was ranked in the top five in the Province of Ontario for six seasons. She was honored with several academic awards during high school and was a three- time honor roll member.
For a more personal introduction to Laura Nyholt, please read on …
1. The best part about being a Liberty student-athlete is …
Having the privilege to represent Christ, while playing my most favorite sport in the world, with the most amazing teammates.
2. If you could compete against any athlete in any sport, who would it be and why?
[Beach volleyball's] Misty May and Kerri Walsh, because I love playing beach volleyball and that would be the coolest thing ever!
3. Who is your favorite Bible character and why?
Job. Even though God put him through unimaginable pain, followed by bad advice from his friends, he never turned away from God.
4. If you could eat dinner with three other people (living or dead), who would they be and why?
My Opa, Barbara Walters and C.S. Lewis.
5. When I have an hour of free time, I like to …
Go shopping. I admit to being a shopaholic.
6. If someone would look at the songs on my iPod, I would be embarrassed for them to see I have this song or artist …
"That'll Be the Day" by Buddy Holly.
7. What TV station do you watch most often?
ABC or the CW.
8. It is not good for you, but I still eat …
Cookies (of any kind!...except peanut butter).
9. A place I would like to visit one day is …
There are way too many on my list, but at the moment, my #1 spot would be Italy.
10. What are five things you could not live without?
My family, friends, food, my Bible and Tim Horton's French Vanilla Cappuccinos.
11. What is something about you that other people don't know?
I become a very competitive person when I play Mario Kart.
12. What was the best movie you watched over the summer?
Prince Caspian or Dirty Dancing on Broadway.
13. Who is the most famous person you have ever met and how did you met them?
I haven't really met anyone famous, but I did meet Wayne Gretzky's dad, Walter. I was at a local hockey arena and he just happened to be there.
14. Who is your favorite Liberty athlete to watch compete?
I would have to say I love watching [Liberty men's soccer player] Darren Amoo play. He is amazing!
15. My dream job would be …
To play soccer while travelling around the world with all of my friends and family. I know it's pretty farfetched, but I can dream.
Previous Installments of Free Kicks with ...
Sept. 5 - Heather Bowling
Sept. 8 - Rachel Michener
Sept. 10 - Elia Lake
Sept. 12 - Rachel Wisehart
Sept. 15 - Maria Owen
Sept. 17 - Maggie Woody
Sept. 19 - Karen Blocker
Sept. 22 - Emily House
Sept. 24 - Mallory Neff
Sept. 26 - Ashley Braam
Sept. 29 - Carly Miller
Oct. 1 - Brittany Tyson
Oct. 3 - Amy Oberlin
Oct. 8 - Ashley Nyholt
Oct. 10 - Aimee Luurtsema
Oct. 13 - Jordan Woody
Oct. 15 - Kristi McBrien
Oct. 17 - Bekah Moye
Oct. 20 - Caitlyn Riley
Oct. 22 - Abigail Austin
Oct. 24 - Lauren Kamphuis