Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Soccer Home > News
Free Kicks with Amy Oberlin
Today, LibertyFlames.com continues its women's soccer feature, "Free Kicks with …" Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the season, "Free Kicks with …" hopes to help you get to know the Lady Flames a bit better. The series continues today with senior Amy Oberlin.
Oberlin, who has played both forward and midfielder for the Lady Flames, is only one of two players on Liberty's roster to have played in all eight contests this season. The Lady Flames' team captain has scored a goal and assisted on another tally, so far this season.
Entering this weekend's set of games, the senior is already listed in the Liberty record book on many of the school's career lists. Currently, Oberlin ranks fourth on the all-time goals list with 16 and also is listed fourth in career points with 39. In addition, she has played in all 65 Liberty contests during her time in a Lady Flames uniform and is on pace to finish among the school's top five all-time in games played.
One of the most decorated players in Liberty history, the Ada, Mich., native has been named to the Big South all-conference team each of her first three seasons. The past two seasons, Oberlin has been selected to the conference's first team, while in her maiden campaign with the Lady Flames, she was named to the league's second team. In addition, she has also been voted to the VaSID All-State second team the last two seasons.
In the classroom, Oberlin has excelled as well. Last season, she was named to the Big South women's soccer all-academic team and has earned Big South Presidential Honor Roll mention each of her three years at Liberty.
For a more personal introduction to Amy Oberlin, please read on …
1. The best part about being a Liberty student-athlete is …
My amazing team, by far!
2. If you could compete against any athlete in any sport, who would it be and why?
Zeb Frazee in Wii bowling, because it's the only game I can beat him in.
3. Who is your favorite Bible character and why?
Paul, because of his ability to put God above all else and his desire to know God more.
4. If you could eat dinner with three other people (living or dead), who would they be and why?
Right now, my family! I don't get to see them enough and I miss them a lot.
5. When I have an hour of free time, I like to …
Look at wedding magazines.
6. If someone would look at the songs on my iPod, I would be embarrassed for them to see I have this song or artist …
All of it! It's [Caitlin] Riley's music.
7. What TV station do you watch most often?
Lately NBC, because of the Olympics.
8. It is not good for you, but I still eat …
9. A place I would like to visit one day is …
The Holy Land.
10. What are five things you could not live without?
Bible, [My fiancé] Zeb, my family, friends and board games.
11. What is something about you that other people don't know?
I never played club soccer, I always played basketball year round.
12. What was the best movie you watched over the summer?
The Dark Knight.
13. Who is the most famous person you have ever met and how did you met them?
Mia Hamm, [teammate Rachel] Wisehart and I met her at one of her husband Nomar's [Garciaparra] baseball games.
14. Who is your favorite Liberty athlete to watch compete?
The Frazee triplets on the basketball team! I love basketball and they are my good friends.
15. My dream job would be …
A physical therapist for children.
Previous Installments of Free Kicks with ...
Sept. 5 - Heather Bowling
Sept. 8 - Rachel Michener
Sept. 10 - Elia Lake
Sept. 12 - Rachel Wisehart
Sept. 15 - Maria Owen
Sept. 17 - Maggie Woody
Sept. 19 - Karen Blocker
Sept. 22 - Emily House
Sept. 24 - Mallory Neff
Sept. 26 - Ashley Braam
Sept. 29 - Carly Miller
Oct. 1 - Brittany Tyson