Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Soccer Home > News
Free Kicks with Heather Bowling
Today, LibertyFlames.com begins the return of its women's soccer feature, "Free Kicks with …" Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the season, "Free Kicks with …" hopes to help you get to know the Lady Flames a bit better. First up is defender Heather Bowling.
Bowling, a junior, has started both of Liberty's first two matches of the 2008 campaign on defense, at Longwood and No. 7 Virginia, for first-year head coach Jessica Celi.
Last season, she played in all 18 of the Lady Flames' matches, starting 17 times. She made five shot attempts during the season, and helped Liberty post three shutouts.
As a freshman in 2006, Bowling started 14 matches and earned selection to the Big South All-Freshman team. She assisted on the Lady Flames' game-winning goal at High Point during the season and contributed to a defensive effort, which posted a 1.07 GAA, the second lowest in team history.
The Waxhaw, N.C., native has garnered Big South Presidential Honor Roll mention in each of her first two academic years. A 2005 graduate of Parkwood High School, she was named to the NSCAA/Adidas Scholar All-Region team, in her final prep season.
For a more personal introduction to Heather Bowling, read on …
1. The best part about being a Liberty student-athlete is …
Getting to have a family away from my family, and the relationships I have with the girls.
2. If you could compete against any athlete in any sport, who would it be and why?
Michael Phelps, because then I could ask him to marry me.
3. Who is your favorite Bible character and why?
It always changes, but right now, it is Paul. His life story is ridiculous! He went from persecuting Christians to being persecuted for Christ. It just reminds me that God can use anyone for His glory.
4. If you could eat dinner with three other people (living or alive), who would they be?
Mary, my sister and Oprah
5. When I have an hour of free time, I like to …
Listen to music and sing as if no one can hear me
6. If someone would look at the songs on my iPod, I would be embarrassed for them to see I have this song or artist …
"Please Don't Go Girl" by New Kids on the Block
7. What TV station do you watch most often?
Well, I don't really get to watch TV in my apartment right now because my roommates are going through an obsession with the show, Reba. They usually just have one of the seasons DVDs in. So if Reba was a TV station, that would be my answer.
8. It is not good for you, but I still eat …
scones…any kind really, but my favorite is cinnamon chip.
9. A place I would like to visit one day is …
10. What are five things you could not live without?
Bible, kettle corn, trail mix, Starbucks coffee and music
11. What is something about you that other people don't know?
I will not say horse vaulting because my teammates decided to make fun of me for that last year. My new answer is that I have foot ADD. My foot or leg is always twitching or shaking. Great now, I'm going to get made fun of for that too.
12. What was the best movie you watched over the summer?
Ha, yeah, I'm going to say Black Knight
13. Who is the most famous person you have ever met and how did you met them?
Selma Blair. I had a soccer tournament somewhere, either New York or Texas, and she was in the same store as me. Of course, she was buying stuff and I was just wishing I could buy stuff.
14. Who is your favorite Liberty athlete to watch compete?
Darren Amoo. We were blessed to have him practice with us last year and he is such a skilled player. He makes everything look so easy.
15. My dream job would be …
To play soccer my entire life! There is a reason they call it a dream job.