Flames NewsFlames Home > Football Home > News
Behind the Numbers with the Flames
Have you ever sat up in the stands at Williams Stadium and wondered what No. 13's favorite movie is or what songs No. 34 listens to on his iPod prior to kickoff earlier in the day?
Well, LibertyFlames.com is here to give fans a further glimpse into the players behind the numbered jerseys in this season-long campaign where the web site gives you a look at the players within the program.
The Behind the Numbers with the Flames segment will run weekly throughout the year, giving Flames fans further insight into their favorite players off the gridiron. Weekly, the web site will feature the answers from players, as they were asked to ponder life's more "difficult" questions upon returning to training camp this fall.
Today, LibertyFlames.com will reveal its player questionnaire responses from wide receiver Jonathan Crawford, defensive back Tim Torrence, defensive lineman Daryl Robertson and tight end Tommy Shaver.
Jonathan Crawford – JC
Tim Torrence – TT
Daryl Robertson – DR
Tommy Shaver - TS
1. What is your favorite Bible verse and why?
JC – Matthew 7:7
TT – Genesis 4:9, because I am my brother's keeper.
DR – Philippians 4:13
TS – Job 1:20
2. What is your favorite movie and why?
JC – Ali
TT – Malcolm X
DR – 300, because there were warriors and they didn't get scared.
TS – The Little Giants, because it is a classic.
3. What is your favorite memory while competing in your sport?
JC – Scoring a touchdown against VMI.
TT – Winning the Big South.
DR – Picking up a fumble against Amherst (high school) and almost scoring before getting hit by Pierre Tinsley.
TS – Winning Liberty's first-ever Big South championship.
4. What is your most embarrassing memory while competing in your sport?
JC – Falling down while running a route.
TT – Knocking myself out.
DR – Getting blindsided by a running back.
TS – Dropping a wide-open touchdown pass in high school.
5. I came to Liberty because …
JC – I felt as though this was the school God wanted me to be at.
TT – I wanted to play football.
DR – I felt it would be a good fit for me.
TS – It's a great place to be with everything that is happening right now.
6. Share something that people don't know about you or makes you unique from others.
JC – I have a twin brother.
TS – I like to cook, even though it's not always good.
7. What has been your defining moment as an athlete?
JC – Playing in my first collegiate game.
TT – When I knocked someone out.
DR – Making it to college to play football.
TS – Signing my scholarship with Liberty.
8. My first car was …
JC – a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
TT – a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass.
DR – a Ford Explorer.
TS – a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.
9. If you could be somebody else for a day, who would you be and why?
JC – George Bush.
TT – No one.
DR – The president, so I could have power over everything.
TS – Jeremy Shockey, because it would be fun.
10. Who is your favorite Liberty athlete?
DR – Daryl Robertson
TS – Our quarterbacks
11. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
JC – Live your life each day with no regrets.
TT – Stay focused.
DR – Never settle for anything but the best.
TS – Good players have a short memory.
12. If you could change one rule in your sport, what would it be and why?
JC – No penalties.
DR – Allow more celebrations, because I like to have fun.
13. After graduation I would like to …
JC – join the military and coach.
TT – become an athletic director.
DR – play professional football.
TS – open a restaurant.
14. When I have an hour of free time, I like to …
JC – relax.
TT – sleep.
DR – sleep.
TS – watch SportsCenter.
15. Words that describe me on the athletic field (and why) are …
JC – relaxed.
TT – hard-hitting.
TS – tall and fun to watch.
16. If you could compete in any sport against any athlete, who would it be and why?
JC – Billiards against Allison Fisher.
DR – Basketball against LeBron James, just to say I played against him.
TS – I'd want to be in the batter's box against Mariano Rivera.
17. My craziest ambition in life is to …
JC – go sky diving.
TS – open a restaurant.
18. Do you have any pre-game rituals?
JC – No.
TT – Listen to music.
DR – Listen to old Lil Wayne.
TS – No.
19. If you could have dinner with three people throughout history, who would they be and why?
JC – Martin Luther King, Jr., Jesus and Tony
TT – Malcolm X
DR – Martin Luther King, Jr.
TS – Babe Ruth
20. A place I've always wanted to visit, but never had the chance is (and why)?
JC – Italy.
DR – Virgin Islands.
TS – Australia, because I want some "shrimp on the barbie."
21. I choose my uniform number because …
JC – I liked it and it was a low number.
DR – I've never worn it before.
TS – I was a Heath Miller fan when he was at Virginia.
22. What are four or five things you could not live without?
JC – The Bible and family.
TT – My mom, brothers and sisters.
DR – Water, food, girls and my parents.
TS – Steak, my new truck, music and football.
23. My personal goals this season are …
JC – for the team to win.
TT – more tackles, more interceptions and winning.
DR – do the best that I can.
TS – establish myself as a productive player and a future primetime player.
24. What sets football apart as a sport and makes it appealing to you?
JC – It is a man's sport.
TT – It is fun.
DR – I'm big and can move.
TS – All the excitement it brings.
25. If I won a million dollars, I would …
JC – pay off debts and give my mom some of the money.
TT – invest it.
DR – save it.
TS – be rich.
26. What cartoon character are you most like (and why)?
JC – Elmer Fudd
DR – Tasmanian Devil
TS – Elmer Fudd
27. If someone would look at the songs on my iPod, I would be embarrassed for them to see I have this song …
DR – Aqua, by Barbie Girl.
TS – Clumsy, by Fergie.
28. The first thing people notice about me when they meet me is …
JC - I have ears, eyes and a nose.
DR – my smile.
TS – my hair.
29. When you were a little child, what did you want to be "when you grew up" and are you pursuing it still as a career/profession after graduation?
JC – a dinosaur.
DR – Yes, because I wanted to play professional football.
TS – a fireman, so no.
30. If you could have one super power, what would it be and why?
JC – Invisibility and flying.
DR – Invincibility.
TS – Be a Transformer.
Tomorrow, LibertyFlames.com's Countdown to Kickoff coverage will return to the Coach's Corner. During this installment of the segment, we will sit down and talk with running backs coach Frank Hickson about senior Rashad Jennings and the players who will be backing up the Big South's Preseason Offensive Player of the Year.