Flames Home > Men's Soccer Home > News

Flames Drop 3-2 Decision To Campell

September 7, 2005
|  Buies Creek, N.C.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Box Score

The Liberty Flames overcame a 2-0 first half deficit, before falling 3-2 to the Campbell Camels, Wednesday night, at Eakes Athletic Complex.

After the Flames rallied from behind to knot the match at 2-2, Campbell's Willy Guadarrama's put a shot inside the right post in the game's 81st minute to give the Camels a 3-2 lead they never relinquished.

Guadarrama, who was named Atlantic Sun Conference offensive player of the week on Tuesday, opened the scoring in the game's 26th minute when he stole an errant pass in the Liberty end, dribbled by two defenders, and scored a right-footed shot for a 1-0 lead.  The goal was the Camel forward's fifth goal of the season.

Campbell took a 2-0 advantage less than eight minutes later.  Scott Phillips, who came on as a substitute in the match's 30th minute, notched his first career goal to extend the Camels' lead.  Chad Aboud lofted a pass over the Liberty back four and Phillips controlled the ball in the box, turned over his left shoulder and netted a shot just inside the near post.

The Flames recovered from a 2-0 halftime deficit to draw even in the 80th minute.

Liberty's Adrian Bumbut (Jr. F, Zaulau, Romania) made an impressive individual effort to bring the Flames within 2-1 just 4:27 into the second period.  Bumbut dribbled through the Camel midfield and defense, before beating the Camel keeper one-on-one in the box for his first goal of the season.

Campbell nearly reclaimed its two-goal edge after 60 minutes when Aboud put Archer Abblitt through a pass on the keeper, but the senior shot directly into Liberty goalkeeper Kevin Mahan (Sr., Waterford, Mich.), who held on for the save.

Less than five minutes later, Camel keeper Brandon Kirksey had to dive to his left to parry a Bumbut attempt, while a Toby Lewis (So., F, Morrison, Colo.) shot high from point-blank range to preserve Campbell's edge.

The Flames got the equalizer in the 80th minute off a restart just outside the Campbell area.  Kyle Cupid (So., MF, Edinburgh, Trinidad) served the free kick into the area and Osei Telesford (Sr., MF, San Juan, Trinidad) headed the ball down to freshman Bill Pinette (F, Fredericksburg, Va.), who netted his first career goal.

Just over a minute later, Phillips played a pass forward to Guadarrama, who cut back at the top of the area and sent one to the right post, snapping the 2-2 tie.

Liberty just missed equalizing in the final minute when an Andrew Kappler (So., D, Bear, Del.) header sailed high over the crossbar.

The tight contest continued a series trend for the clubs.  The teams battled to a 0-0 draw last year and Liberty won 1-0 decisions in both 2003 and 2002.

Campbell held a slim 14-13 edge in shots.  Kirksey finished with four saves, while Mahan had three stops for the Flames.

"I thought our team showed a lot of guts and character by coming back," stated Liberty head coach Jeff Alder after the game.  "It was unfortunate that we made a mistake defensively by letting the ball go over the top on the game-winning goal."

"This game will serve as another character builder for our young group and we'll make it stronger come November for the [Big South Conference] tournament."

Liberty falls to 0-2, while Campbell moves to 2-1.

The Flames next travel to Boiling Springs, N.C., on Saturday to square off with Gardner-Webb.  Game time is set for 7 p.m.