Flames Home > Men's Soccer Home > News

Flames Fall 3-2 In Overtime To George Mason In Season Opener

September 2, 2005
|  Lynchburg, Va.
|   RSS
|   Share
|   Box Score

Despite two goals from Osei Telesford, the Liberty Flames fell 3-2 in overtime to the George Mason Patriots, Friday night, at the Liberty Soccer Field.

In the season opener for both teams, the Patriots took a 1-0 lead into the half, scoring late in the first.  Francis McCardle received a pass on the right side of the box from Teba McKnight and netted a shot from 18 yards at the 40:50 mark for the game's first goal.

Playing without All-American Darryl Roberts, who is out with a fractured collarbone, the Flames regrouped in the second half.

Kyle Cupid (So., MF, Edinburgh, Trinidad) found Teleford (Sr., MF, San Juan, Trinidad) with a long pass off a reset, who headed the ball in from five yards to knot the score at 1-1 at 56:29.

Telesford then put Liberty up 2-1 at 71:58 as he put back a rebound of a goalie stop from a Toby Lewis shot for his second goal of the evening.

With just over a minute left, George Mason rallied to send the game into overtime.  Anthony Noreiga put back a goalie deflection of his own shot from five yard out to even the score at 2-2.

In overtime, the Patriot's McCardle picked up a loose ball off a deflected Liberty clearing pass at the top of the box and scored the game-winner at 94:10 of overtime.

For the match, George Mason out shot the Flames, 13-10. 

Liberty goalkeeper Kevin Mahan (Sr., Waterford, Mich.) made six saves on the evening, while Patriot Jeremy Jessup made five.

"Overall, I was pleased with our effort, energy and commitment to compete," said Flames head coach Jeff Alder after the game. "It was unfortunate to give up a goal with a 1:10 left in regulation, but that's the way things go sometimes."

"We regrouped for overtime and felt very good about our chances to get a result and then Osei clears the ball out and number 8 [Francis McCardle] hit the shot of his life against us and we lose the game."

"I feel this game will go a long way in building character with this group and we will bounce back in a hurry".

The Flames fall to 0-1-0, while George Mason is 1-0-0.

Liberty next travels to Buies, N.C. for their first road contest of the season on Wednesday, September 7, to square off against Campbell.  Match time is set for 7 p.m.