Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Earns Best Record in School History
In doubles action, the Lady Flames swept all three matches. Liberty's tandem of Jordan Jenkins and Ekaterina Kuznetsova finished the season 14-0 in No. 1 doubles with an 8-1 win over Asheville's Leslie Smith and Stephanie Schon. Stephanie Brown and Hannah Fick sealed the point, taking No. 2 doubles, 8-1. Fabiana Gouveia and Martyna Hanusz completed the sweep with an 8-2 victory in No. 3 doubles.
Liberty carried its momentum into solo action, taking 5-of-6 singles contests. Jenkins won No. 1 singles, 6-1, 6-0, concluding her first regular season at Liberty with a 15-0 singles record. Hanusz earned a straight set win over Louise Bottomley in No. 2 singles, 6-4, 6-3. In No. 4 singles, Brown defeated Nicole Schon, 6-4, 6-2. Brown's doubles teammate Fick became a dual winner as well, winning No. 5 sinlges, 6-3, 6-2. Gouveia closed out the evening for Liberty, giving up only four games as she took No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-4.
With Saturday's win, Liberty concluded the regular season, remaining undefeated at the Esbenshade-Hershey Tennis Center. The Lady Flames now enter the postseason with a 4-1 conference record and a 12-3 record overall, giving the program its best seasonal performance in school history. The Big South Women's Tennis Championship begins this Thursday. Match times and rankings are to be announced.
Liberty 6, Asheville 1
1. Jordan Jenkins/Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) d. Leslie Smith/Stephanie Schon (UNCA) 8-1
2. Stephanie Brown/Hannah Fick (LU) d. Nicole Schon/Louise Bottomley (UNCA) 8-1
3. Fabiana Gouveia/Martyna Hanusz (LU) d. Whitney Abbott/Tania Mateva (UNCA) 8-2
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) d. Leslie Smith (UNCA) 6-1, 6-0
2. Martyna Hanusz (LU) d. Louise Bottomley (UNCA) 6-4, 6-3
3. Stephanie Schon (UNCA) d. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Stephanie Brown (LU) d. Nicole Schon (UNCA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Hannah Fick (LU) d. Tania Mateva (UNCA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) d. Whitney Abbott (UNCA) 6-0, 6-4