Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Make It 10 Straight
The Liberty Lady Flames used strong singles play Wednesday afternoon, to down the High Point Panthers, 5-2, at the HPU Tennis Complex, extending their winning streak to 10 consecutive matches.
The Panthers won two of the three doubles matches to secure the point. After Liberty had won the No. 1 doubles match 8-0, behind the undefeated pairing of Jordan Jenkins and Ekaterina Kuznetsova, Audrey LePottier and Iris Schabetsberger defeated Martyna Hanusz and Fabiana Gouveia, 8-5 in the No. 2 contest. In the No. 3 match-up, Becky Carr and Jody Wicks dropped Hannah Fick and Stephanie Brown, 9-8, in a tightly contested match to take the doubles point.
However, in singles, the Lady Flames, 11-3 overall and 3-1 in the Big South, captured the match by taking five out of the six singles matches to continue their unbeaten string. Jenkins maintained her perfect record at No. 1 singles this spring, defeating LePottier in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6. Gouveia followed suit with a straight-set win at No. 6 singles, 7-5, 6-2.
Hanusz, Kuznetsova and Brown all won their matches in three sets. Hanusz defeated Kelly Tolman, 7-6, 3-6, 6-4, at No. 2 singles. Kuznetsova won her No. 3 singles match, 6-0, 4-6, 6-1. Brown closed out the three-set winners with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, come-from-behind victory.
Liberty, with the most wins in school history, hosts UNC Asheville, Saturday at the Hershey-Eshbenshade Tennis Courts. Match time is slated for 1 p.m.
Liberty 5, High Point 2
1. Jordan Jenkins (Liberty) def. Audrey LePottier (HPU) 6-2, 7-6
2. Martyna Hanusz (Liberty) def. Kelly Tolman (HPU) 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
3. Ekaterin Kuznetsova (Liberty) def. Caroline Mount (HPU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
4. Becky Carr (HPU) def. Hannah Fick (Liberty) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
5. Stephanie Brown (Liberty) def. Iris Schabetsberger (HPU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Fabiana Gouveia (Liberty) def. Jody Wicks (HPU) 7-5, 6-2
1. Jenkins/ Kuznetsova (Liberty) def. Tolman/ Mount (HPU) 8-0
2. LePottier/ Schabetsberger (HPU) def. Hanusz/ Gouveia (Liberty) 8-5
3. Carr/ Wicks (HPU) def. Fick/ Brown (Liberty) 9-8