Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Drops Home Contest to Highlanders
Due to the threat of inclement weather, singles action took place before doubles play. The Highlanders, who came into the contest ranked No. 55 in the nation, took five-of-six singles matches. Liberty's lone singles' victory on the afternoon came in No. 6 singles, as Juan Reyes defeated Radford's Tyler Early in straight sets 6-3, 6-4. Rafael Riso nearly picked up another win for the Flames in No. 5 singles. Despite giving up the first set, Riso rallied in the second set, forcing a third set tiebreaker. After battling back and forth in the tiebreak, Radford's Paul Boslet escaped the surging sophomore, 6-4, 6-7(1), 10-7.
With the Highlanders already claiming the win, both teams fought for possession of the doubles point. Radford captured the point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Liberty's No. 3 doubles tandem of Reyes and Chad Simpson prevented the sweep, defeating Early and Boslet, 8-4. The win gave Reyes his fifth-straight dual win this season.
The Flames will take a one day break from the action on Saturday, before gearing up for another home match against the Presbyterian Blue Hose on Sunday. Match time is slated for 1:30 p.m.
Radford 6, Liberty 1
1. Martin Sayer/James Lloyd (RU) d. Sebastian Pena/Rafael Riso (LU) 8-4
2. Mehdi Benhammou/Ivan Salec (RU) d. Jarda Trojan/Leandro Schujmann (LU) 8-5
3. Juan Reyes/Chad Simpson (LU) d. Paul Boslet/Tyler Early (RU) 8-4
1. Martin Sayer (RU) d. Sebastian Pena (LU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Ivan Salec (RU) d. Chad Simpson (LU) 6-1, 6-2
3. James Lloyd (RU) d. Jarda Trojan (LU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Mehdi Benhammou (RU) d. Leandro Schujmann (LU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Paul Boslet (RU) d. Rafael Riso (LU) 6-4, 6-7(1), 10-7
6. Juan Reyes (LU) d. Tyler Early (RU) 6-3, 6-4