Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Edged on the Road 4-3
After dropping the No. 1 doubles contest, Liberty bounced back in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches to capture the doubles point.. The duo of Jarda Trojan and Leandro Schujmann went down to the wire with Wilmington's No. 2 doubles tandem, winning in the tiebreak 9-8(10). In No. 3 doubles, Chad Simpson and Juan Reyes defeated Illia Ziamtsou and Alex Antunes 8-5 to secure the point for Liberty.
Hoping to continue its momentum in singles action, the Flames saw the host Seahawks rebound to take four of the six matches for a narrow victory. In No. 3 singles, Trojan was one of Liberty's two dual winners on the day, defeating Ziamtsou in straight sets 6-2, 6-3. Juan Reyes also was a dual winner, as he defeated Wilmington's Michael Zurawell 6-2, 6-1 in No. 6 singles.
Liberty now heads to Port St. Lucie, Florida, for a Spring Break tournament and four days of matches, March 16-19. Match times and opponents are to be announced.
UNC Wilmington 4, Liberty 3
1. Michael Pereira/Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) d. Sebastian Pena/Rafael Riso (LU) 8-6
2. Jarda Trojan/Leandro Schujmann (LU) d. Gustavo Bertei/Bryan Ford (UNCW) 9-8(10)
3. Chad Simpson/Juan Reyes (LU) d. Illia Ziamtsou/Alex Antunes (UNCW) 8-5
1.Gustavo Bertei (UNCW) d. Sebastian Pena (LU) 3-6,6-4,7-6(4)
2.Michael Pereira (UNCW) d. Chad Simpson (LU) 6-1,6-3
3. Jarda Trojan (LU) d. Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) 6-2,6-3
4. Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) d. Leandro Schujmann (LU) 7-5,6-3
5. Alex Wetherell (UNCW) d. Rafael Riso (LU) 6-1,6-2
6. Juan Reyes (LU) d. Michael Zurawell (UNCW) 6-2,6-1