Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Continue Win Streak at Wilmington
In doubles, Liberty's tandem of Jordan Jenkins and Ekaterina Kuznetsova continued their undefeated streak in No.1 doubles with a win over Wilmington's Lauren Isenhour and Kayla Schwenk, 8-5. The Seahawks responded by taking the second flight 8-2. Stephanie Brown and Hannah Fick then secured the point for Liberty, as they won a tight match over Wilmington's No. 3 doubles team, 9-7.
Up against a determined host, the Lady Flames held on in singles action, splitting the six matches. After taking the first set in No. 5 singles, Fick rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the second set to defeat Chelsea Kahle in straight sets 6-4, 7-6(3). Liberty's Fabiana Gouveia and Wilmington's Hartley Collins took their match to three sets, with Gouveia capturing a 6-7(2), 6-2, 6-3 victory.
With the Seahawks winning the No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 matches, the deciding point was determined in No. 1 singles. Wilmington's Priscilla Roberts took the first set 7-5, but Jenkins bounced back, defeating Roberts in the final two sets 6-1, 6-3. The victory gives Jenkins a total of eight singles wins on the season, remaining undefeated in both singles and doubles competition this spring.
The 5-3 Lady Flames will now travel to Florida for four straight days of matches, March 16-19. Match times and opponents are to be announced.
Liberty 4, UNC Wilmington 3
1. Jordan Jenkins/Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) d. Lauren Isenhour/Kayla Schwenk (UNCW) 8-5
2. Priscilla Roberts/Hartley Collins (UNCW) d. Martyna Hanusz/Fabiana Gouveia (LU) 8-2
3. Stephanie Brown/Hannah Fick (LU) d. Chelsea Kahle/Lindsay Leblang (UNCW) 9-7
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) d. Priscilla Roberts (UNCW) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
2. Kayla Schwenk (UNCW) d. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Lindsay Leblang (UNCW) d. Martyna Hanusz (LU) 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-4
4. Lauren Isenhour (UNCW) d. Stephanie Brown (LU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Hannah Fick (LU) d. Chelsea Kahle (UNCW) 6-4, 7-6(3)
6. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) d. Hartley Collins (UNCW) 6-7(2), 6-2,6-3