Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Downs Longwood for Third-Straight Win
The Liberty Lady Flames tennis team picked up its third-straight win Thursday, rolling to a 6-1 victory over the Longwood Lancers at the Lancer Courts.
Liberty, which moves to 4-3 on the season, opened the match by sweeping all three doubles contests to take a 1-0 lead. The paring of Jordan Jenkins and Ekaterina Kuznetsova, now 6-0 in doubles, defeated Zsofia Jakab and Laura Simon, 8-3, in the No. 1 doubles contest, while the Liberty combination of Martyna Hanusz and Fabiana Gouveia posted an 8-5 victory in the No. 2 doubles match. Hannah Fick and Stephanie Brown completed the Lady Flame doubles sweep with an 8-1 triumph in No. 3 doubles, running their season mark to 5-0.
In singles, the Liberty continued its success, taking five of the six contests, all in straight sets. Jenkins remained unbeaten in singles competition with a 6-2, 6-1 straight-set triumph over Jakab in the No. 1 contest. Hanusz defeated Mason Davis, 6-1, 6-1 in No. 3 singles, while Brown took her third-straight singles contest, 6-4, 6-0, over Brittany Huddelston. Fick, with a 6-0, 6-0 triumph over Nasim Moadab, and Gouveia, with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Ashley Melson, rounded out the Lady Flames' singles winners.
Liberty returns to conference play Saturday, as the Lady Flames host Big South opponent Winthrop. The match is set to get underway at Noon at the Hershey-Esbenshade Tennis Courts.
Liberty 6 Longwood 1
1. Jordan Jenkins (LIBERTY) def. Zsofia Jakab (LNG) 6-2, 6-1
2. Laura Simon (LNG) def. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LIBERTY) 6-3, 7-6 (7)
3. Martyna Hanusz (LIBERTY) def. Mason Davis (LNG) 6-1,6-1
4. Stephanie Brown (LIBERTY) def. Laura Huddelston (LNG) 6-4, 6-0
5. Hannah Fick (LIBERTY) def. Nasim Moadab (LNG) 6-0, 6-0
6. Fabiana Gouveia (LIBERTY) def. Ashley Melson (LNG) 6-1, 6-0
1. Jenkins/Kuznetsova (LIBERTY) def. Jakab/Simon (LNG) 8-3
2. Hanusz/Gouveia (LIBERTY) def. Davis/Melson (LNG) 8-5
3. Fick/Brown (LIBERTY) def. Huddleston/Edwards