Flames NewsFlames Home > Wrestling Home > News
Regional Ready with Colon and Porter
As Liberty University prepares to host its first-ever NCAA Championship event this Sunday in the Vines Center, LibertyFlames.com will be continuing a series throughout the week where wrestling fans can get to know better their starting 10 grapplers.
The Flames enter the NCAA East Regional Championship as the event's defending champion, taking the team title during the program's first year back on the wrestling mats. Liberty had four wrestlers win their weight classes during last year's event (Christian Smith at 125 pounds, Tim Harner at 141 pounds, Chad Porter at 165 pounds and Patrick Walker at heavyweight), with the quartet advancing to the national championship.
Liberty's wrestlers, along with grapplers from Delaware State, Duquesne, Gardner-Webb, Millersville and Wagner, will be looking to claim victory in their individual weight classes and punch their tickets to the NCAA National Championship, in St. Louis, Mo.
During today's interview, LibertyFlames.com will be featuring a question-and-answer session with Julian Colon (157 pounds) and Chad Porter (165 pounds).
1. What is your favorite Bible verse and why?
JC - 1 John 3:8, because I live to destroy the works of the devil.
CP - Ecclesiastes 9:10, because it says to do everything to the fullest.
2. What is your favorite movie and why?
CP - Meet the Deedles
3. What is your favorite memory while competing in your sport?
JC - Qualifying for the state tournament my senior year of high school.
CP - Winning my high school state tournament.
4. What is your most embarrassing memory while competing in your sport?
JC - Getting pinned in just a few seconds.
5. I came to Liberty because … ?
JC - So the Lord could use me on the wrestling team.
6. Share something that people don't know about you?
JC - I play the guitar.
CP - I have a cyst in my brain.
7. What has been your defining moment as an athlete?
JC - Doing well at the intercollegiate state tournament.
8. My first car was …
JC - A 1991 Jetta.
CP - A truck.
9. If you could be somebody else for a day, who would you be and why?
JC - Jesus, so I could have the experience of being close to the Father.
10. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
JC – "Love the Lord with all my heart."
CP – "To never give up and always believe."
11. If you could change one rule in your sport, what would it be and why?
JC - It would be overtime, because I do not like it.
CP - No cutting weight.
12. After graduation I would like to …
JC – To be a missionary.
CP – To become a radiologist.
13. When I have an hour of free time, I like to …
JC - Read.
CP - Wrestle people on Facebook.
14. Words that describe me on the athletic field (and why) are …
JC - Fun.
CP - Funky.
15. If you could compete in any sport against any athlete, who would it be and why?
JC - It would be the No. 1 NCAA Division I wrestler in the nation.
CP - Golf against Tiger Woods, because I like to play golf.
16. My craziest ambition in life is to …
JC - To win the NCAA National Championship.
17. Do you have any pre-match rituals?
JC - No, I just pray.
CP - I just stretch well.
18. Who is one person in history that you would like to meet and why?
JC - The Apostle Paul or Jesus.
CP - George Herman "Babe" Ruth, because he was good.
19. A place I've always wanted to visit, but never had the chance is (and why)?
JC - Alaska, as it looks adventurous.
CP - Another planet.
20. What are four or five things you could not live without?
JC - Bible, guitar and food.
CP - Friends and family, Mountain Dew, sunflower seeds and my lovely girlfriend.
21. Who is your favorite athlete on your team to watch compete (and why)?
JC - Patrick Walker, as he is a powerful guy.
CP - Sean Katz.
22. What sets wrestling apart as a sport and makes it appealing?
JC - It is physically and mentally tough.
CP - Individuals competing in singlets.
23. If I won a million dollars, I would …
JC - Give it away.
CP - Invest it.
24. What cartoon character are you most alike (and why)?
JC - Tigger, I'm loads of fun.
25. If someone would look at the songs on my iPod, I would be embarrassed for them to see I have this song …
CP - "Who Let the Dogs Out" by Baha Men
26. The first thing people notice about me when they meet me is …
JC – Joy.
27. The last book I read and enjoyed was (and why) …
JC - Face the Face with God, because it helped me grow tremendously.
CP - Where the Red Fern Grows.
Previous Sessions of Regional Ready
With Sean Katz and Christian Smith (March 3)
With Tim Harner and Shaun Smith (March 4)