Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames Edged on the Road, 4-3
Liberty set the tone early, besting the Lady Bucs in two out of the three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The team of Jordan Jenkins and Ekaterina Kuznetsova defeated Charleston Southern's No.1 duo of Andrea Schutte and Zineb Hilali 8-4. After dropping the No. 2 doubles contest, Liberty captured an 8-3 win from the paring of Martyna Hanusz and Fabiana Gouveia in No.3 doubles to secure the double point.
In singles play, Jenkins shut out Hilali in the first set of No. 1 singles and went on to win the match 6-0, 6-3. The Lady Bucs responded by taking the next three contests. Liberty's Hannah Fick found herself in a battle with Nazil Kutuk in No. 5 singles, as the match stood at 0-6, 5-2 when play was suspended Saturday. The contest concluded with Fick falling in three sets, allowing the Lady Bucs to seal the victory. Gouveia led Charleston Southern's Amanda Swindall going into Sunday 7-6(1), 2-4. Swindall took the second set, which led to a third set tiebreaker and a victory for Gouveia. She won the match 7-6(1), 6-7(4), 10-5.
The Lady Flames remain in South Carolina today, as they take on the Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina. Match time is slated for 1 p.m.
Charleston Southern 4, Liberty 3
1. Jordan Jenkins/Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) d. Andrea Schutte/Zineb Hilali (CSU) 8-4
2. Aodhnait Lombard/Patricia Jaegar (CSU) d. Stephanie Brown/Hannah Fick (LU) 8-6
3. Martyna Hanusz/Fabiana Gouveia (LU) d. Ashley Heard/Amanda Swindall (CSU) 8-3
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) d. Zineb Hilali 6-0, 6-3
2. Aodhnait Lombard (CSU) d. Ekaterina Kuznetsova 6-0, 6-1
3. Andrea Schutte (CSU) d. Martyna Hanusz 6-3, 6-2
4. Patricia Jaegar (CSU) d. Stephanie Brown 6-4, 6-1
5. Nazli Kutuk (CSU) d. Hannah Fick 0-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) d. Amanda Swindall 7-6(1), 6-7(4), 10-5