Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Drop Match to Charleston Southern
The Flames opened the match by winning two of the three doubles matches to capture the point. Liberty's duo of Chad Simpson and Juan Reyes made quick work of their Charleston Southern counterparts by earning an 8-1 victory. With the point on the line, No. 3 doubles went down to the wire, as the tandem of Leandro Schujmann and Jarda Trojan defeated Chris Peek and Keith Whittingham 9-8 (5) in a tiebreaker to help the Flames gain the point.
Unfortunately, the Flames success in doubles did not carry over in singles action, as Charleston Southern swept all six matches. The Bucs managed to take the first five matches in straight sets. In No. 6 singles Liberty's Juan Reyes took Charleston's Keith Whittingham to the limit, but lost in a third set tiebreak 4-6, 6-3, 10-4.
The Flames are currently finishing up their tour of South Carolina, as they square off today against the Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina. Match time is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Charleston Southern 6 Liberty 1
1. Grega Teraz/Guy David (CSU) d. Sebastian Pena/Rafael Riso (LU) 8-4
2. Chad Simpson/Juan Reyes (LU) d. Steven Dean/Luis Maselli (CSU) 8-1
3. Leandro Schujmann/Jarda Trojan (LU) d. Chris Peek/Keith Whittingham (CSU) 9-8(5)
1. Steven Dean (CSU) d. Sebastian Pena (LU) 6-3,6-2
2. Guy David (CSU) d. Chad Simpson (LU) 6-2,6-4
3. Grega Teraz (CSU) d. Jarda Trojan (LU) 6-3,6-3
4. Chris Peek (CSU) d. Leandro Schujmann (LU) 6-2,6-0
5. Luis Maselli (CSU) d. Rafael Riso (LU) 6-1,6-1
6. Keith Whittingham (CSU) d. Juan Reyes (LU) 4-6,6-3,10-4