Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Liberty Captures First Win of Spring Season
The Liberty women's tennis team won its first match of the young spring season, Saturday night, with a 5-2 win over the George Washington Colonials, indoors at the Sports Racket.
For the first time this season, the Lady Flames captured the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. Liberty's No. 1 doubles tandem, Jordan Jenkins and Ekaterina Kuznetsova, faced a formidable opponent in George Washington's Kendall Swenson and Nadia Demidenko, but managed to secure a tightly-contested 8-6 triumph. In No.2 doubles the duo of Stephanie Brown and Hannah Fick won their match in convincing fashion, quickly dispatching the Colonials' Madhuri Jha and Verena Knoedler, 8-2. Martyna Hanusz and Fabiana Gouveia followed suit in No.3 doubles with an 8-1 victory of their own to complete the sweep.
The Lady Flames found even more success in singles action, taking four of the six contests. Jenkins set the tone for Liberty in No. 1 singles, defeating Swenson in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. The Lady Flames newcomer has yet to lose in singles this season.
Undaunted by a 4-1 deficit in the third set of No. 3 singles, Hanusz rallied to win the contest 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 over George Washington's Jennifer Hirsh. With the match on the line, Brown sealed the Colonials' fate early by winning in straight sets over Tracy Stecko in the No.4 contest, 6-2, 6-4. Fick capped off the 5-2 victory for the Lady Flames, defeating George Washington's Jha in the No. 5 match, 6-2, 6-3.
With a win under its belt, Liberty (1-2) hopes to continue the trend this Saturday, as they begin conference action on the road against the Lady Bucs of Charleston Southern. Saturday's matches are slated to begin at 1 p.m.
LIBERTY 5, GEORGE WASHINGTON 2
1. Jordan Jenkins/Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) d. Kendall Swenson/Nadia Demidenko (GW) 8-6
2. Stephanie Brown/Hannah Fick (LU) d. Madhuri Jha/Verena Knoedler (GW) 8-2
3. Martyna Hanusz/Fabiana Gouveia (LU) d. Tracy Stecko/Michele Style (GW) 8-1
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) d. Kendall Swenson (GW) 6-2,6-1
2. Nadia Demidenko (GW) d. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) 6-4,6-4
3. Martyna Hanusz (LU) d. Jennifer Hirsh (GW) 6-3,2-6,6-4
4. Stephanie Brown (LU) d. Tracy Stecko (GW) 6-2,6-4
5. Hannah Fick (LU) d. Madhuri Jha (GW) 6-2,6-3
6. Verena Knoedler (GW) d. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) 1-6,7-5,1-0(12-10)