Flames NewsFlames Home > Women's Tennis Home > News
Lady Flames fall to ECU, 5-2
East Carolina grabbed an early lead, by taking two of the three doubles matches to capture the doubles point. The pairing of Ekaterina Kuznetsova and Jordan Jenkins triumphed for the Lady Flames in No. 2 doubles, defeating East Carolina's Mireia Gol and Jessica Cook, 8-5.
Liberty started off singles action by earning victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 contests. Jenkins won No. 1 singles over Jessica Cook in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. The newcomer has been a dual winner in both of Liberty's two spring matches this season. Her doubles partner, Kuznetsova, also picked up a straight-set singles win, beating East Carolina's Varinia Soler, 6-3, 7-6, in No. 2 singles. However, the Pirates swept the remaining four singles matches of the evening for the match victory.
Liberty, 0-2, looks to pick up its first victory of the spring on Feb. 16, when the Lady Flames host the Colonials of George Washington. The match is slated for 6 p.m., indoors at the Sports Racket.
1. Alex Smith/Brooke Walter (ECU) d. Stephanie Brown/Martyna Hanusz (LU) 8-3
2. Jordan Jenkins/Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) d. Mireia Gol/Jessica Cook (ECU) 8-5
3. Hannah Priest/Varinia Soler (ECU) d. Hannah Fick/ Fabiana Gouveia (LU) 8-4
1. Jordan Jenkins (LU) d. Jessica Cook (ECU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Ekaterina Kuznetsova (LU) d. Varinia Soler (ECU) 6-3, 7-6(1)
3. Mireia Gol (ECU) d. Stephanie Brown (LU) 7-6(3), 6-3
4. Brooke Walter (ECU) d. Martyna Hanusz (LU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Luiza Borges (ECU) d. Hannah Fick (LU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Tamara Sachs (ECU) d. Fabiana Gouveia (LU) 1-6, 6-1, 10-2