Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Open Spring with 4-3 Win Over Spiders
Coming off a successful fall campaign, the Liberty men's tennis team picked up where it left off with a 4-3 victory over the Richmond Spiders, Saturday evening indoors at the Sports Racket.
The Spiders struck first, taking two of the three doubles matches to earn the point. The pairing of Chad Simpson and Jarda Trojan defeated Chris Lewis and David Berry, 8-2, in No.1 doubles. However, Richmond took the remaining two contests.
In singles action, Liberty's Simpson knocked off Richmond's Doug Banker in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, in the No. 1 contest. The No. 2 match-up produced a similar result, as Sebastian Pena defeated Chris Louis 6-2, 7-6.
The two-set trend continued throughout the evening, as Richmond managed a pair of two-set wins in the No. 3 and No. 5 slots. Down 3-2 in the match, the Flames rallied back. Newcomer Leandro Schujmann collected a hard-fought straight-set victory over Sami Belakhlef, 7-5, 7-5, while Juan Reyes earned a 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Drew Crank to push the Flames to the 4-3 match win.
Liberty, 1-0, travels to Greensboro, N.C., Wednesday to square off against the Pirates of East Carolina. Match time is slated for 2:30 p.m.
Liberty 4, Richmond 3
1. Chad Simpson/ Jarda Trojan (LU) d. Chris Louis/ David Berry (UR) 8-2
2. Doug Banker/William Minter (UR) d. Leandro Schujmann/Juan Reyes (LU) 8-2
3. Michael Sommer/Drew Crank (UR) d. Sebastian Pena/Rafael Riso (LU) 9-7
1. Simpson (LU) d. Banker (UR) 6-4,6-4
2. Pena (LU) d. Louis (UR) 6-2,7-6(4)
3. Sommer (UR) d. Trojan (LU) 7-5,7-5
4. Schujmann (LU) d. Sami Belakhlef (UR) 7-5,7-5
5. Minter (UR) d. Riso (LU) 6-1,6-2
6. Reyes (LU) d. Crank (UR) 6-2,6-3