Flames NewsFlames Home > Men's Tennis Home > News
Flames Defeat Averett Cougars in Men's Tennis, 6-1
The doubles point went to Liberty which won two of the three matches played. Chad Simpson and Sebastian Pena, playing together for the first time all season, won at No. 2 by an 8-2 score. At No. 3, Luis Olivera and Juan Reyes teamed up to capture an 8-1 victory.
In the singles competition, Liberty won five of six matches, taking all five of their victories in straight sets. Simpson and Pena both won their matches in the upper half of the draw. Pena's triumph was his fifth consecutive individual win, and his eighth triumph on the season. In the remaining matches, Juan Reyes, Franco Valdez and Fabricio Picanco all won their contests.
The victory, Liberty's fourth of the season, improves the Flames' overall record to 4-14. The Flames will return to action Wednesday afternoon, as they travel to Radford, Va., to face intra-state Big South rival Radford. Match time is scheduled for 2 p.m.
1. Jose Licera/Daniel McGregor (AVT) def. Jarda Trojan/Fabricio Picanco (LU) – 8-6
2. Chad Simpson/Sebastian Pena (LU) def. Marcelo Diaz/Erick Ocampo (AVT) – 8-2
3. Luis Olivera/Juan Reyes (LU) def. Robbie Ferris/Jeff Imgrund (AVT) – 8-1
1. Daniel McGregor (AVT) def. Jarda Trojan (LU) – 6-2, 6-3
2. Chad Simpson (LU) def. Jose Licera (AVT) – 6-1, 7-6
3. Sebastian Pena (LU) def. Erick Ocampo (AVT) – 6-2, 6-1
4. Fabricio Picanco (LU) def. Marcelo Diaz (AVT) – 7-6, 6-2
5. Juan Reyes (LU) def. Robbie Ferris (AVT) – 6-0, 6-0
6. Franco Valdez (LU) def. Jeff Imgrund (AVT) – 6-1, 6-0