Flames NewsFlames Home > Baseball Home > News
Liberty No. 1 Seed for 2014 Big South Championship
LIBERTY AT 2014 BIG SOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP
Rock Hill, S.C.
Live Stats (Provided by Radford): Live Stats
• Liberty enters the 2014 Big South Baseball Championship with a 39-14 overall record.
• The Flames finished the Big South regular season with a 23-3 mark, claiming the Big South regular season title and the No. 1 seed for the Big South Baseball Championship.
• Liberty's 23 Big South wins are a program record, eclipsing 19 wins in 2011.
• Liberty is making his 18th appearance at the Big South Baseball Championship. The Flames enter the 2014 Championship as the defending conference champion.
• Liberty has played for the Big South tournament title six out of the last eight years.
• Liberty posted a 22-5 (.815) record at the Liberty Baseball Stadium and has posted a 14-7 road record this season. The Flames are 3-2 in neutral site games.
• Liberty is averaging 5.8 runs per game, while allowing its opponents 3.1 runs per game. The Flames are 13th in the country in runs allowed per game. The Flames are also 18th in the
nation in scoring margin (+2.7).
• Liberty leads the Big South in team pitching with a 2.55 ERA and is second in the conference in team batting with a .280 batting average.
Seiz, Lambert, Bean and Toman Garner Big South Honors
• Liberty became the first team in Big South history to sweep the conference awards, selected by the Big South head coaches.
• 2B Ryan Seiz was named the Big South Player of the Year. Seiz becomes the third Liberty player to be named the Big South Player of the Year. He joins outfielder Keith Butler (2000) and infielder Jason Benham (1998) as Flames who have won the award.
• RHP Trey Lambert was selected the Big South Pitcher of the Year, becoming the first Liberty pitcher ever to garner the award. Lambert also was named the Big South Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
• RHP Parker Bean was named the Big South Freshman of the Year. The pitcher becomes the fourth Flame to be selected the conference's Freshman of the Year. The pitcher joins pitcher Tim Harrell (1995), outfielder Keith Butler (2000) and teammate Alex Close (2012) as Flames who have received the conference honor.
• Head Coach Jim Toman was a unanimous selection as the Big South Coach of the Year. It is the first for the Liberty head coach. He is the second Flames' skipper to win the honors, as Dave Pastors was named the conference's Coach of the Year in 1998.
Liberty Places Seven on All-Conference Team
• Liberty placed seven players on the 2014 Big South All-Conference teams.
• 1B Alex Close, C Danny Grauer, 2B Ryan Seiz, and pitchers Trey Lambert and Parker Bean were selected to the all-conference first team.
• SS Dalton Britt and relief pitcher Ashton Perritt were named to the the all-conference second team.
• It is the first time in program history the Flames have had five members named to the all-conference first team.
• It is the second time Liberty has had seven players named all-conference, as the 1998 Flames also had seven all-conference team members.
• It is the first time being named all-conference for all seven players.
• 2B Ryan Seiz became the first Liberty player ever to be selected a semifinalist for the 2014 Dick Howser Award. The award goes to college baseball's top player.
• Seiz leads the Big South with a .430 batting average in conference games and is third in the conference in batting average in all games.
• Seiz leads the Big South in home runs, runs scored, total bases and slugging percentage.
• The 2B is also among the conference's top 10 in RBIs, doubles and on base percentage.
• Seiz and SS Dalton Britt are the only two Flames to start every Liberty game this season.
• OF Ashton Perritt had two hits, including his second home run of the year in Liberty's 9-4 win over Radford in game two of a doubleheader, this past Friday
• Perritt went 4-for-4 with three RBIs and a home run vs. Elon, last Tuesday. Perritt's hits and RBIs were both career highs in a game for the OF.
• As a pitcher, Perritt recorded his career-high 11th save of the season in a win over UNC Asheville, 4/26. Perritt's save total is the second most in a season in program history. He is tied for second in the Big South in saves.
• 1B Alex Close collected two hits and hit his seventh home run of the season in game one of a doubleheader at Radford, this past Friday.
• Close leads the Flames with a .418 batting average with runners in scoring position.
• Close is tied for third in the Big South in RBIs, fourth in home runs and is eighth in the slugging percentage.
• C Danny Grauer is tied for the conference lead with 27 RBIs in Big South games only. He is tied for fourth in home runs and is among the top 10 in the confernce in slugging percentage and RBIs.
• OF Nick Lacik collected two hits, drove in two runs and scored a run in win in game two of a doubleheader at Radford, Friday.
• Lacik is seventh in the Big South Conference with 28 walks. The Liberty leadoff hitter has a .383 on base percentage.
• RHP Matt Marsh struck out a career-high six batters over 2 1/3 scoreless innings in game two win at Radford, this past Friday.
• Marsh has not allowed a run since Feb. 18. During the span, RHP has made 15 appearances, pitching 28 1/3 scoreless innings.
• LHP Shawn Clowers ran his record to 8-0 on the season with two scoreless innings in game two win at Radford, this past Friday.
• Clowers has made a career-high and team-leading 19 appearances this season.
• On Tuesday, Clowers and Seiz were named to the Gregg Olson Award Watch List.
• RHP Trey Lambert has been named to the National Pitcher of the Year Watch List. Lambert leads the Big South Conference in wins with a 10-2 record. His win total ranks seventh nationally.
• Lambert ranks fourth in ERA (2.18) and sixth in innings pitched (91.0) in the conference.
• RHP Parker Bean is tied for fifth in the Big South Conference in wins with a 7-2 record.
He has the 10th best ERA (2.64) and is tied for sixth in the conference in strikeouts (75).
Liberty Clinches Big South Regular Season Title
• With a 7-1 win over Coastal Carolina on May 9, Liberty
captured the 2014 Big South regular season title and clinched the No. 1 seed for the Big South Baseball Championship in Rock Hill, S.C.
• It is the third Big South regular season title in program history and Liberty's first since 2000. The Flames also won the conference's regular season title in 1998 and 2000.
• In addition, the Flames won a program record 23 Big South games. The mark eclipses the 19 Big South wins by the 2010 Flames.
Flames Clubhouse Report
• Join the Liberty Flames Sports Network's Nick Pierce each week for a look at Flames Baseball.
• The audio show is available at LibertyFlames.com each week throughout the season.
• Pierce, who brings you all the action of Liberty Flames baseball, takes a look back at the previous week, along with comments from Liberty head coach Jim Toman and key Flames.